(Updated clear pics) Newbies attempt at aquascaping so far

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by NYGiants, Aug 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Like it but i agree with what was said, ditch the plastic plants.

2. Click Here!

3. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

In response: This is a saltwater tank, FOWLR no reef yet since this is my first tank and there is A LOT to learn!!.

Love all the replies guys!!! Thanks everyone for all the love, appreciate it greatly!... And yes those are plastic plants, are they that bad to have?

Also, since this morning, I think i got a little carried away lol... Ended up at my LFS and purchased some new live rock and spent the past few hours redoing my whole aquascape!!! I'm beat!!!

Updated pics will be up tom morning once all the sand settles again as it got really cloudy.

As always, will love to hear what you guys think!

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

its not bad to have, but plastic plants on a marine set up just dont look right..
    fairly tacky i would say.. no offence. i had plastic plants my self in the beggining and when i started adding coral they just became outdated :D
    also some nasty algae grows on them and its pretty hard to take it off.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Well said. They are ok to have. They just don't look natural in a SW tank. Some cray algae will grow on them too.

6. telstar

telstar Fire Worm

I hope you are putting your rock on top of something. Most people use plastic grates or pvc pipe cut into 1 1/2" lengths. If placed directly on your sand bed, if the sand bed shifts your rock work will collapse and may break the glass which is something you do not want to happen.

7. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Does anyone have pictures of how these are used? It would help me to set mine up tomorrow if I could see one.

8. Click Here!

9. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

+2 on the plastic plants it just doesn't belong in a saltwater tank JMO

10. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

Ugh, I wish I had done a littttle more research as to how to put the rocks (on egg crates or pvc pipe) before I spent the countless hours today rearranging everything!

For now I just made sure the rocks on the bottom were well dug into the sand, basically on the glass so that no shifting would occur, guess i'll have to redo all this... Well you live and you learn.

Regardless, I'll update pics tomorrow when the water clears to show my new setup.

Thanks again everyone for all you advice!!!

Guess when i restructure again I'll take out the plastic plants as well...

11. dkpnmn

dkpnmn Astrea Snail

A lot of the fun of Saltwater is watching your tank evolve and become engrossed with coralline algae. You have a very nice start with the sand and rock. I would remove the fake background in place of a black one and remove those fake plants and replace them with some live Button Polyps when you have finished cycling.

12. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Definitely take the plastic plants out, they will probably just grow brown algae and you will end up cleaning them more often then not.