Update: Picture of recovering Monti

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kevin_E, Jul 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i have never used iodine so I cant comment

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well I think I killed it. In a haste, I decided to add 10 drops of iodide to water (found this method online) and dip the coral. After the dip concluded, the monti starting to ooze massive amounts of slime and now it appears the tissue is on it's way out now too. The coral is light brown with patches of "bleach" white. Seems like it was going to die one way or another anyhow :-/.

Thanks all.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You need to get bathing that every other day. If you don't have Lugols use a mixture of Tincture of Iodine in tank water.
    Mix 15 drops to each liter of water and let it bathe for no longer than 10 minutes. Give it a good swishing and then bathe it in clean tank water for another 5 minutes.
    Look it over with a magnifying glass and remove any dead or dying adults. Scrape off and cover eggs with super glue gel before putting it back in the tank.

I've lost an entire tank of Monti's to these beasts. But I've also saved a single piece in another invasion so it is possible. It takes dedication and diligence to accomplish.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Good luck

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Yeah Mike has learned the hard way. He is the master of these monsters.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Too late I fear. At this point, the thing is pretty much dead. It's almost completely white outside of the few light patches of brown scattered throughout. You can see the pores within the structure now.

1 person likes this.
  7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i am sorry......these things are monsters. I personally gave up after trying everything to kill them on my large monti cap. That pic I showed was the only thing left of a 4 layer large brown monti. They eventually found my superman, my reverse sunset and a few others i had in my tank.

I would pull it out of the tank and start the monti free period in your tank. I went a full 6 months before I added another monti to the system. I have heard suggestions of being monti free for 6-8 weeks but have heard of a person who had MEN 3-4 months afterwards in their tank. I figure better safe than sorry.

MEN are VERY VERY common unfortunately. As said earlier, these are one coral you should always quarantine prior to adding to your DT. Unfortunately, I would bet a big hunk of us have been burned after not following this advice. Heck I was stupid enough to do it a second time. This LFS was being proactive and dipping their corals because they knew they had MEN, so you didnt see any signs of it.......however they didnt warn me that they had problems so the eggs came along with the coral.

I just have a 28g biocube set up for montis and zoas qt. Only buy them when I have the tank open to place them in for 6 weeks. If a piece has men, then that tank becomes monti free for 6 months. Still use it to QT other corals

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Fantastic news!!! The monti completely bleached from the iodide bath I dipped it in 2.5 weeks ago (That's not the good news). I decided to keep the skeleton in the tank just to see if, by chance, it would grow back. Well it has started to grow back! You can see the individual polyps popping out where the see through pores once were (they have a faint yellow tint on them) and the color is slowly coming back too! It's a very, very light purple now.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Worried about the nudibranchs coming back though. If they laid eggs, they are likely still around.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Notice the purple patches popping up. I wish I could get some pictures of the polyps. They are just too small to capture on a camera phone.

Attached Files: