Update: Picture of recovering Monti

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kevin_E, Jul 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Definitely a monti eating nudi. Did a quick search and came up with this:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I found some sacks and removed them as well as the nudi itself. I don't have lugol's, but I have iodide. Is that a substitute?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

arrrgg monti eating nudis are the worst. Very hard to see at first stages. Almost impossible to kill. Problem with them are that it only takes 1 to breed. A single nudi can produce hundreds of eggs that do not die with dips. You have to dip every couple days and even then..........

here is what it might appear as........though this piece was out of water for a while and dried out to show it better
    [​IMG]

This was my first outbreak of it.......didnt have any symptoms until a week or so before I noticed a small white spot on my coral. It started out as a large multi layer monti cap that I bought. I dipped and it continued to spread. I then fragged it......eventually lost the entire piece.

I personally would wait to get Coral RX. I have heard others using potassium permanganate to treat, but have not tried that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well that's not encouraging. My frag is pretty large (4 inches in diameter or so) and I have yet to see any visible damage. Hopefully I caught this issue soon enough.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

:-/ sorry. I have had 2 outbreaks, even with dipping initially. I will not add a single monti to my tank regardless of who i get it from without QT. Same with Zoas. Both of these get dipped every couple days and placed in a QT tank for 6 weeks. Learned this after loosing a bunch of monti!

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It's not your fault, but thanks for the sympathy. Will iodide solution work as a dip? Will it need to be diluted?

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

The upside is that you have only one monti right? Worst case scenario thats what you lose. Its a cheap lesson. Nudis scare the crap ot of me.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep. Only one, but it's something I wanted for awhile now and just bought last week.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So what's the thoughts on iodine dipping?

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Found and disposed of 2 more.