UPDATE on Odyssea PS160 skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by lunatik_69, Jul 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pbukow

pbukow Plankton

I have a ps-160 and i think that for the money it is an awesome product if you a little about skimmers and how they work. With a couple of cheap, easy, and quick mods to this thing, you get some great skimmate from a 75gall tank or less for under $100! ;D
    I have it in my sump, and yes it took a while to get the feel of it and how it reacts to things that happen in your aquarium, but know that it has it pulls some nasty skimmate.
    Just bcuz you don't understand something, doesn't mean that its a piece of S+*@.:-X It just means that you don't understand it is all.

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i thought the whole concept of a good skimmer was something thst worked with little or no mods. when you super mod a skimmer you make a new skimmer, you could probably make an odyssea a coralife with some tries. but in my opinion it should work great FROM THE BOX....so if it doesn't work then its a piece of &*^% like lunatik says.

4. cobra397

cobra397 Plankton

there is a giant thread on reefcentral in the lighting, filtration forum on the p160. I also bought it and done the cheap mods to it and got it working. This is not a out of the box skimmer and i knew it wouldnt be when i got it, if it wasnt for the thread and the people who worked with it i would of been lost.. If you like tinkering go check it out. might be suprised at what that piece will do . lol ;)

5. pbukow

pbukow Plankton

I have to disagree with your evaluation of this skimmer. Yeah it is not the greatest of all time but for the price you pay, and the amount of very simple and cheap modifications that can be done to it, it is a great deal. You mentioned that it kept overflowing, did you adjust the valve where the water exits the skimmer? I had mine for a month b4 i realized i could adjust it::)

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Hmmm, this is an interesting thread. Lots of different opinions. Personally I have always enjoyed my Odyssea products. My skimmer is a PS75 (I think). I've had it about 2 years now and have been satisfied with it. It could be because I've never owned a higher end skimmer though, too. I admit I've had a couple overflow problems, but nothing too serious. I get plenty of nasty sludge and don't plan on upgrading it anytime soon.

My MH fixture is also Odyssea, as is my backup dual-strip PC fixture. Just food for thought.

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i don't mean that all oddysea products suck, hell i even have their 260w PC fixture. But if i were to go a store, buy a skimmer, have it overflow my basement, pay thousands of dollars to renovate basement, and get screamed at by wife (well im 14, but you catch my drift:Halloween48:)....i would'nt mind getting a 90$ coralife over an oddysea.

Bob

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

well, I might have jumped the gun on my conclusion on the PS160, as I stated before. Having said this, I also think that any product that you buy, where its $60.00 or $500.00, it should work out of the box and should have instructions!!! It shouldnt need any mods to it as aquaboy mentioned. Dont get me wrong, I love to tinker with things to improve them, but as with everything in this hobby, cheaper isnt always better. Remember, as the saying says, "You get what you pay for". Cheaper usually means more, esp. in this hobby. IMO, there are two hobbies that you should never compromise quality, one is this hobby and the other is scuba diving. Luna

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

its funny that its being compared to a coralife skimmer as a compliment cause theres alot of people that feel coralife skimmers need alot of unnecessary mods as well.i never had either,i just read alot of forums.