Update- My Green Poci...

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Todd_Sails, Oct 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

What do you consider not fast at all? Even a swing of 1 DKH a day could cause problems in some corals. Other than an ALK swing I dont know what would cause that. Maybe a pH issue, do you see any parasites on it? Have you recently changed bulbs or your lighting schedule?

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

It didn't swing 1 a day.

Ph? Rarely if ever measure it. I would think that if parasites did that, it might also be devouring other coral I have also.
    No, I don't have any bulbs, and as I said, everything else is kicking a$$ and taking names (doing well).
    No, I haven't changed my lighting schedule in about 2 years.

And before you ask, no fish are ever seen picking at it, or any of my other coral for that matter.

But thanks, I hope it pulls through, it was so awesome before, and my prized coral to me. In about 2 years, it probably grew about 8-10 times the volume/size than when I got it.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Todd I think you should frag off a bigger healthy area and place it away from the main piece in the display, even a couple healthy frags.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

That is a good idea, not much good areas left.
    I dipped it yesterday.
    I think I will try that soon.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I just got thru looking at my DT, and all but 2 corals are doing awesome!

Even whats left of the Green Poci has good PE!, it's just so scare now!

Could it be bryopsis (sp?) attacking it?
    'Cause that's what I think got to my Tyree Neon Green birdnest!
    It had fallen on the substrate for many hours before I came home, noticed it, and put it back on it's rock spot. Since then this fungus like stuff has been attacking it.
    I dipped it several times, not much help.
    So I fragged some of it, and broke off the fungus looking pieces and discarded them.

Of 60+ differnet coral types doing well, these are the only 2 I'm having trouble with.
    I've got MOnti's, Stylophora, Birds of Paradise, Acros, Valydia, Zoas, LPS, etc., etc. looking so well and growing, but these 2.

Any more thoughts?

TIA,
    Todd

** And BTW, I only even think I've ever seen a small amount of Bryopsis in my DT/fuge.
    Ever. But there is some kind of dark brown fungus stuff on the Neon Green BN, so I don't know.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Can't be bryopsis, no. It could set in and grow on the dead skeleton, however.

The brown you're describing sounds like brown jelly disease (BJD). It's a bacterial infection.

8. Click Here!

9. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Do you have peppermint shrimp? I found mine eating my stylo very aggressively when the lights went out (and i am sure he wasn't "cleaning" it, i could see bright green polyp remnants on his greedy little pinchers). I now make sure the shrimp gets a bit of food when i feed the tank, so far the little turd hasn't eaten my stylo any more and it is beginning to recover. They are not picky eaters and will pull out polyps to eat them if they are hungry. Once they start, you have to make sure they are VERY well fed so they will forget about eating the polyps.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Taking on the Jellies! - Crush from Finding Nemo

That is probably it, for my Neon Green BN anyways. The Jelly Dz.
    But I don't see the same on the Green Poci.
    I also have another colony of it, about 2-3cm already, in the middle of a Neon Orange Monti- it's also doing very well, not shedding any polyps, etc.
    What do you do about the Jellies?

Thanks Annie- but no, I haven't had a shrimp in about 9 months, and it was a cleaner shrimp.
    Thanks for the suggestion though

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well, my Green Poci seems to be holdding it's own for now.
    Ans as before, ALL other corals, including a smaller bud of Green Poci about 3 ft away from the big colony is doing great.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Update,

My big beuatiful Green Poci has been gone for months- I even removed the large skeleton form the DT.

However, I did have some other spots starting to grow Green Poci when the large mother colony expired.
    But I did not frag them there. Somehow-they got very far away in the tank and started growing. I guess it sheds cells off and propagates itself?
    Maybe the coral guru's could expand on that further.

Here are a few places where I'm getting colonies growing on my rocks, the largest is abour 4x3cm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]