UNWANTED Algae!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Katie Grant, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

2. Click Here!

3. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Sump looks good. How much LR in the DT? between 1-2 lbs per gallon of water is about what you need based on bioload.

4. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

Ya since you are using RO water i would attribute it to tank age. Mine was nasty too... even up until about 6 months....

Deffinately test your Phosphates though.

I have some crazy algae growth in my overflow as well but it never goes any where else anymore.

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It is difficult to see clearly but I am assuming it is Green hair algae, correct? Since you have a sump I would strongly advise a phosphate reactor. This is a popular one and I use it; Aquarium Chemical Filter Media Reactor: ViaAqua Poly-Reactor Multi-Media Reactor
    For now, it looks like you have room to take an aquarium scraper (plastic is fine) and start with the scraper at the bottom of the back glass and apply some pressure and start upward. Have a container ready and when you have a glob of the stuff at the top remove the scraper full of the algae but don't let it fall into the tank and throw it in the container and continue until you have scraped all the glass. It is time consuming but will help to improve things until you get a reactor.

6. Katie Grant

Not Much LR maybe like 25 lb. I could be totally wrong though.

[​IMG]

7. Katie Grant

Yes its hair algae. You said dont let it fall into the tank. But its so short that i feel like once i start scraping its just gonna float off the scraper into the water

8. Click Here!

9. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

+1 if you decide to do this I would turn off the powerheads to help minimize the chances of it blowing around. It also looks like you could some more LR to me. Base rock is cheaper and will eventualy turn into LR. JMO

10. Katie Grant

Alright thanks for the help! :) and Yea I'm back to my LFS this weekend to pick up some more, Its just been a very slow process. Plus i'm super picky with what it looks like haha

11. Katie Grant

Id eventually id like to get it all filled.

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It shouldn't as long as you maintain some presure all the way up and then grab it with your fingers when you get to the top or hold it on the scraper as you pull the scraper out....give it a try.