Underwater World LA Aquaculture: Goniopora

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustinCredabel

JustinCredabel Plankton

Hi All,
    HI amc,Matt,Steve, Thanx for the help Curt
    Hi Tom,
    Full name is Justin Credabel Grabel
    As for determining if Goniopora was right for you, the species and growing conditions make all the difference. Goniopora stutchburyi has much different care requirements than Goniopora stokesii.

Over the years I have developed a food mix of small prey items (copepods, rotifers..) and larval foods. The intent is to get small prey items that the Goniopora can ingest into a consistency that will stick to the polyps oral disc, but not be too gloppy.
    If you feed once a week directly you should do pretty good as long as your water parameters are up to snuff. If you feed 3 times a week it'll probably grow. If you feed everyday it'll explode with delight! However you must make sure you don't over feed the whole system. Also after 30 minutes any food that does get caught up in the mucous coat should be brushed away, a pipette (same kind you use to feed) is a great tool for this.
    Also I find I can feed them once, then other polyps inflate, and are ready to be fed after a few minutes.
    You can do this twice a day even. You should name though if you are spending that much time with it.

Rock on

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I like those tips Justin. Good to know. I am starting a new tank and a bit paranoid about mixing softies and SPS... are there any compatibility issues with Goniopora I should be aware about?

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

bump

we have the pleasure of Justins presence for a week according to Matt's original post
    so I would hate to see this great opportunity wasted

without wanting to embarras Justin
    even if I could help with Matt's question- I wont
    I reckon Im not alone with those sentiments

google the name people - and dont waste this excellent opportunity to ask questions of a
    "face" in the world of reef keeping

respect dude
    rock on

Steve

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Thanks for the answers Justin, now I just need to find places that sell these varieties of goniopora. I don't know how to differentiate a stokesii from these ones, besides coloration.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

7. JustinCredabel

JustinCredabel Plankton

One way to differentiate stokesi other than their green color is to check and see if it was free living colony. These are generally round and have no point where it was broken off the reef on the bottom. Most free living Goniopora are G. stokesi. There are a few that are from a reef environment. These tend to be a hardier form of G. stokesi, perhaps because its natural state is closer to that of our aquariums.
    Also the walls of the corallites (skeleton at the edge of the polyp) are very ragged in G. stokesi.
    The definitive source for hard coral ID is JEN Veron's 3 volume Corals of the World

8. Click Here!

9. JustinCredabel

JustinCredabel Plankton

Goniopora are as compatible as other coral. They can sting and be stung. Produce allelopathic compounds, and can be affected by them just like other corals. Some species, and some varieties of species are more prone to fight amongst others in their genus. I do keep them mixed with just about everything in different systems. I recommend carbon weekly or biweekly to reduce affects of allelopathic compounds building up in the water. Most species can touch with out killing other Goniopora.
    Some only fight if placed right next to eachother, if their tentacles touch but their bases are no where near eachother they are usually ok. Observation is key to prevent any problems. They shouldn't be right next to coral from other genera, as one will eat the other usually. Soft corals grow right up on it will just slowly stress it out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great info - thanks Justin. There is a frag swap near me next week, I will be looking for Goniopora now. :)

I would love to see pics of the new stuff at UWWE too!

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

This Saturday, not next week :)

Not sure if you'll see any gonis though :( We can hope though as I know several locals do quite well with them (myself included)