Underwater hose clamp

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by ZachB, Jan 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So, I got a new higher GPH return pump today to replace my old dying one that for the last couple days has only been producing a trickle through the sump. I replaced it with an Eheim 1060 which is much better!

However, since it does a higher GPH / pressure I need to put a hose clamp on it in the sump as I don't want it to pop off. I went to Home Depot and picked up some hose clamps but they're metal - however, they say "all SS" (stainless steel) - think one of these would be OK to use on the return line? I don't have any plastic ones and nobody around here seems to have plastic ones. Let me know your thoughts. What does everyone else use?

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Some people will say that SS is okay but I still wouldn't use it..do you think you could just really crank down on a big zip-tie or something?

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Possibly - why wouldn't you use it? I'm always paranoid about metal but it is stainless steel and many pumps have SS screws on them anyhow (mag for example). Maybe if I really crank down a few zip ties.

5. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

NO!!!! No Metal!!!
    Use nylon zip ties You can pull them tight with pliers.You might break a couple till you find the breaking point.They are cheap and they work and wont leach in your water.You dont want any hose clamps over your sump or water anywhere they can rust and drip.

1 person likes this.
  6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

They may not rust..but I'd be worried about what chemicals and such are used to make them that way

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Got it. Makes sense. I'll get medieval on it with a pair of pliers and some zip ties.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I hear everyone say don't put any metal in the aquarium but I heard on another thread brought up the fact that in all the pumps theres a metal shaft thats exposed to water constantly. If metal was so much of a problem wouldn't they be making the shafts out of something else? Also what about PVC and other plastics leeching BPA? wouldn't that become a problem?

10. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

^ I was just about to say, I thought the impeller shafts were stainless steel inside Koralias and other pumps..?

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I use a plastic hose clamp with adhesive on the back of it and stick it to the side of the sump. Works great!

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I thought of another thing. What happens to those ships they sink to create coral reefs? Aren't they steel? So rust and such can't be that bad. I mean I know the size of the ocean is also a big factor but the corals would be growing directly on top of the steel.