Uncured LR to cycle tank?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by klownh8er, Oct 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. klownh8er

klownh8er Plankton

I'm just wondering if I can use uncured LR in my new tank and let the die off occur in it? Also do I need any special lighting for the LR? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Yes you may use cure your LR in a new tank. There are some pros and cons to this. The too biggest problems are smell which may or may not happen and Cleaning die off can be a pain. As far as lighting goes you don't need anything special buy you may loose any coralline algae on the rock.

4. NaH2O

NaH2O Astrea Snail

I used uncured live rock in my set-up (170#s in a 120gallon). The smell really wasn't that bad to those of us that smelled it everyday. I'm not sure what someone would have thought if they just walked into the house for the first time. One thing you will want to do with the uncured rock before you place it in the tank, is really look it over. Take a wire brush to it, take a screwdriver and dig out dying sponges, really look it over. I took all day to do my aquascaping, and left the rock on a tarp. That is an advantage to using uncured - no hurry to get it in the tank. Be sure to really blast the rock everyday and free up the loose organic material, siphoning out big pieces. Another thing is if you are going to have a sandbed or substrate, then I would cure the rock in a separate container. All the die-off and organics will fill the bed with waste material and shorten the life span of the bed, but that IMHO.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=NaH2O link=board=Newbie;num=1098050061;start=0#2 date=10/18/04 at 09:28:44]if you are going to have a sandbed or substrate, then I would cure the rock in a separate container.  All the die-off and organics will fill the bed with waste material and shorten the life span of the bed, but that IMHO.  [/quote]

I agree completely with this! ;D

6. NaH2O

NaH2O Astrea Snail

LOL, Craig - do you agree that it is just my opinion, or that uncured live rock should be cured outside a tank with a DSB?

7. c12ack

c12ack Plankton

[quote author=NaH2O link=board=Newbie;num=1098050061;start=0#2 date=10/18/04 at 09:28:44]   Be sure to really blast the rock everyday and free up the loose organic material, siphoning out big pieces.  [/quote]

how do you "blast" the rock? sorry im new. i got some buna rock from oceanproaquatics.com. anyone know anything about them? they are from waltsmiths in fiji. and came with good colors and algae grownin on them. i also got premium fiji from there 2.75/pound. how long should i let the rocks cure? thanks.

chris

8. Click Here!

9. NaH2O

NaH2O Astrea Snail

Hi Chris! Sorry, I should have been more clear. You can blast the rocks with a turkey baster by forcing water into the crevices and over the rock. I've found this is more effective using a powerhead, especially on curing rock. Just take the power head and blast around the rock....you will see junk come off. I routinely use a turkey baster on my rock to free detritus as part of my maintenance.

You will want to cure the rock until you no longer have detectable ammonia or nitrites.

Hope that helps!

10. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

I went to that website where you (c12ack) got your rock. The price seems great, just the shipping is a joke ;)

Store Pickup
    No shipping charge added. Pickup during regular business hours. $0.00

United Parcel Service (XML) (2 pkg(s) x 60 lbs total)
    UPS Ground $77.00
    UPS 3 Day Select (3Days) $187.68
    UPS 2nd Day Air (2Days) $268.28
    UPS Next Day Air Saver (1Days) $338.02
    UPS Next Day Air (1Days) $373.06

I don't know, but that's pretty stupid for 80 pounds of rock ;)

11. c12ack

c12ack Plankton

i didn't know that shipping was that much. i just noticed it was local and picked it up. i first saw them on ebay and ran into their website one day.

chris

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Nikki,

Cured outside the tank and then added to a fully cycled tank.