Un-accounted for high tank temperature?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Stammer, Jan 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I have a 60 gallon with h.o.b. overflow, sump, some live rock and sand, a few fish , a few coral, a h.o.b. skimmer, and two Kaoralia wave pumps at opposite ends of tank. I have been battling a case of Cyano recently. So this past weekend I added a no-name wave pump with about 1350 gph during the day to increase flow. It was not until today that I noticed my temp had spiked to 82-83 or more. I checked with other thermometers, still same reading. I dialed back my titanium heater whih is in my sump, still no change, so I unplugged it. Still no change, so I unplugged the 3rd wave pump. I did notice that the back of the glass where it was placed did feel rather warm. Do wave pumps typically give off significant heat? OH, did I mention the tank is down in my midwest basement man-cave which is typically around 62-64 degrees. HELP.....Any ideas?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

First, 82 - 83 is not too hot. Some run their tanks at 84 - 86. :)

That said, yes, any pump in your tank will generate a certain amount of heat. With what you already had running, the addition of a "no-name" pump (cheaper units tend to have heat issues) could definitely tip the scale and elevate the tank temp a few degrees above the heater setting.

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Midwest basement man cave......glad to hear I am not the only one. I dont think these temps are too high. I run 78 with NO heater during the winter and 81 during the summer. I run metal halides too.

5. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I just put a netting over my tank so I dont have any jumpers..this alone rised my tank from 80 to 82.. normally it runs 79-80

6. jcono

jcono Astrea Snail

What lights do you have? and how high off the tank are they? That could be it. Low 80's might not be too warm- depends on what you have in the tank. Some critters def. need lower temps. Also dissolved oxygen decreases with higher temps.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

A 1300gph pump can put out a lot of heat....

8. Click Here!

9. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

Well after unplugging the no name large pump my tank temp only dropped a little, say to 81-82. I just don't get it. Nothing has changed in the last week to make my temp rise 1-2 above what I normally would keep it. Frankly I don't know how I can maintain that temp without my heater going much . Previously in teh same tank as a freshwater setup I had a hard time keeping temps warm enough. My lights are a quad T5 setup with led moonlights. I have reduced the hours and even shut down 2 bulbs, still no effect. Ambient room temp can't be more than 65-67 degrees. I guess my next question, even if I can't locate my phantom heat source, what is preferred temp for a mixed reef tank? I was presuming 78-80 degrees?

10. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

It you just unplugged the no-name pump today, it may take your 60G tank 8-10 hours to return to normal temperature.

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

How are you reading the temp? Your thermometer might have crapped out.

nvm i read the entire first post.

I couldnt tell ya

12. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Are the lights in a canopy? Well ventalated? Whats the temp in the morning before lights on?

Try feeling all the different potential heat sources, pumps, wavemakers, heaters. If you feel one warmer than the rest, that could be your culprit.

Is your tank near a window?