Ultraviolet Sterilizer Do you use one

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Jason McKenzie, Apr 13, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

Well, for those of us with a scientific background (my degree is in biology and hubby is a chemist) I can tell you that UVS's kill way more bad stuff than good. Why, you may ask? The reason is simple....in a closed system the "bad" can increase to plague proportions very quickly. Just put your tank water under a microscope and check it out. Better yet, have some one that is knowledgable in microbiology tell you what you are looking at! I can guarantee that the first thing you will do is order a UVS.

I have one on my 500 and my only regret is that I couldn't afford a bigger one! Don't j=have SW without it!

Just my 2 cents!

Elizabeth

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Green, 1, 80%]Well, I'm still not convinced. I've been keeping SW tanks for a LONG time, since 1978, and have never used a UV sterilizer. [smiley=yaknow.gif]

However, I do see that they would be useful on a Q-Tank. And, I withdraw my statements about running one for a few hours or so at a time. "mikeyreef's" comparison to anti-biotics was a good one. [smiley=sick2.gif][/glow]

[glow=Maroon, 1, 80%]My goal is to keep my fish as healthy as possible, by providing them with the highest quality water, the best quality food, and vitamins, and a good light cycle. If you can be successful at these things, then your fish won't get sick.

However, by all means, have a Q-Tank set up for sick fish, or for new-coming fish. Don't put newly purchased fish directly into the tank -- that's just asking for trouble. Let them sit in your Q-Tank for a few days, in your water, eat your food and vitamins, and get used to your light cycle. After a week or so of that, they'll be READY for your main tank. [smiley=goldfish.gif][/glow]

[glow=Navy, 1, 80%]That's more than 2 cents worth this time. I wanted to try to explain more of my "philosophy" so that perhaps some of you would understand why I don't use UVs. It is simply a more "natural" approach, and it has worked well for me for many, many years. [smiley=smart.gif][/glow]