Uh-Oh White Spot - Help !!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by regmo123, Nov 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

We have a gel that worked well for ich and other things we put it on the algae sheet and clip in the tank the name of the gel is gel-tek with tetracycline. maybe it will help

2. Click Here!

3. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

If it is velvet then you will want to treat with copper. Marine Velvet Disease: Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention

velvet is supposed to be like ich in that if it doesn't have a host during the right phase in its lifecycle it will die. I suppose that this is debatable but I would treat the fish in QT with copper, keep them there for at least 8 weeks, then put them back in. If the symptoms reappear then I don't see any choice but to remove all inverts from the DT and treat that with copper. I've known people that successfully dealt with it via QT and copper and not had a problem when they reintroduced the fish into the tank.

You don't need to wait for a cycle in the QT. You don't have time if it's velvet. Just do large water changes as you need to keep the ammonia under control and test once or twice a day. I'd recommend twice if you can.

I don't agree with the last post about setting the sg to 1.015. Not sure where that came from. You need 1.009 to treat ich and lowering the sg for your fish by more than .004 per 24 hrs is likely to kill them.

4. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

5. GreyGhost

I have changed salinity from 1.023 to 1.026 in a wc with no problems changing as slow as you stated would be null as the fish would die before you got it low enuff to matter.

6. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

1.023 to 1.026 is .003 and within the range I stated. 1.026 to 1.0015 is not. Hyposalinity only kills the stuff during one phase of its lifecycle so you have a 3 in 4 chance of getting lucky enough to catch it in the right lifecycle by going faster. Not good odds IMO.

Where did you get the info about acclimating to 1.015? Can you please post a link so that it can be verified?

7. GreyGhost

He wouldnt be dropping from 1.026 to 1.015 he would be acclimating his fish for a few hours to the lower S.G. not a sudden drop. I got the 1.015 from here on 3reef from people that have been in the hobby and industry for year's. (search it I did) Everyone has their own ideas and ways. and if he removes the inverts from the DT and cures out with copper he cant put the inverts back in the DT. The copper will still be in the tank even the sealant on the corners of his DT so no more CUC. Thats why people set up QTs for this and using before introducing into the DT.

8. Click Here!

9. regmo123

regmo123 Astrea Snail

So, QT now set up. Will move fish in later today. Just need to catch them now. Aqua Medic Fish Trap proving useless. Any tips?

10. GreyGhost

I had to do a complete tear down. I chased the fish to one end and put egg crate in the middle of the tank and made it easir to catch the fish I took the rock from one side and moved it to the other and caught the fish and redone the rock work.
    Good Luck on this one. I hope it doesnt stress em out to much.