UH-OH blue acro bleached

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by hottielover14, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=15#29 date=01/28/05 at 16:53:21]How can i stop this behavior. He's a flame angel and he's about 3-4" long.[/quote]
    Get rid of the angel. There's no way to predict what it will and will not bother/eat.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i've heard that angels are notorious for bothering inverts. is this true? he's just so pretty though. he's a flame angel so he's awsomely colored.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Some Angles are ok with SPS and some are not. It's kind of a gamble
    But usually if they bother SPS there is no changing them

J

5. hottielover14

do they really bother sessile inverts and LPS corals. I think my flame angel killed my elegant coral and my flame scallop. It's hard to catch him he keeps hiding in the rocks. he's fast. HE's so pretty.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I had to remove about 90% of my rock to catch and remove my spledid dottyback (aka - fireshrimp eating sonnofagun!)

The key is to choose fish wisely... :p ::) so we don't have to go back in and retrieve them! Which can be all but impossible in more heavily stocked tanks.

No more whimsical purchases for me! And I thought I had done my homework!

As for your question, do the angels really bother sessile inverts? I think you already have that answer. You have lost 3 corals in 3 weeks. :-/
    You have to decide whether you want the fish, or the corals. ;)

7. hottielover14

does that mean that the angel will hurt every coral i buy. what's the best way to get him besides dismanteling my tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I won't say yes, but do you want to risk it? It is your choice to make. It has a track record.

My dotty back ate both shrimp about a week apart, but that was all the shrimp in my tank. >:(
    ;D
    Best way to catch it? If anyone else has ideas? I spent about half an hour trying. LOL

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=30#35 date=02/16/05 at 17:24:29]does that mean that the angel will hurt every coral i buy. what's the best way to get him besides dismanteling my tank.[/quote]
    As has been repeated over and over on this thread, angels have bad reputations for eating certain types of coral. Whether or not any angel fish will bother any particular coral is a toss up so you have to decide which is more important to you. The fish or your corals.

The only way that I've been able to remove a fish from a reef tank is to break down the tank. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and you won't have to do this. Pick up an acrylic fish trap and give that a try.

11. hottielover14

maybe i could get one of those tank dividers and divide the tank just where the brain is gonna be. it's in the sand so i could use a divider.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

How would you get water flow to it?