Ugly Tank Contest!

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Nov 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Surfer and Horton have to been winning at this point... a close race lol! Who decides the winner? It would be fun to let us vote!

2. Click Here!

3. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

Was prolly my post to be honest, at first we had a major spike in pod growth and I have a little 6g full of them that we were able to pull out.. Now, just the algae bloom is all that remains. lol

-fritts

4. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

Anyone up for "growing" the ugliest tank? What, no one will?!?!?;D

5. jeremy_a

jeremy_a Feather Duster

I know, I was hoping to win some mag or bleach. I think that I might nuke everything if the mag doesn't work for me.:(

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

HA HA, it might have been!!! Here, let me point you to your own question! Too funny.

7. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

I can grow a bubble algae and red slime algae tank if you want?!? lol

8. Click Here!

9. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

Is this contest still going on, cuz I have an ugly tank! Ok, I am not proud of it! We were cruisin' along well, and then my xenia withered and stalled out...It was not doing anything, at all!

Then came red slime, and hair algae. And now, I have whatever that awful stuff is in the middle of my tank....taking over!! Oh no! I so should not have listened to the ppl who gave it to me. They called it "kelp" and as I had never done SW before and they had...I believed them. I am thinking that it is not kelp at all. It is nice and green, but soon, I fear that all will be covered in the stuff.

My tank is now around seven months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. scootman

scootman Plankton

Mystique...I think you have taken the lead. That is awesome!

I've twice battled nuisance algae and here are the things which played a role in solving my problems:

1. Increased Magnesium level.----Hair Algae seems to hate high Mag levels
    2. Kalk water for top off. -----seems to make the skimmer more efficient
    3. Increased skimming --- Kalk should help with this
    4. Replaced the bulbs (This seemed to be the biggie). --- Within days, huge algae clumps were breaking off the rocks and floating to the surface.
    5. Frequent water changes to dilute the source nutrient levels.
    6. Evaluate your feeding and supplement habits. Change husbandry practices if needed.
    7. Ro/Di water only.....no more "from the tap".
    8. Make sure you have an adequate clean up crew (Had to slide a plug for John in there)---subtle huh?
    9. Use carbon & GFO---- I purchased from bulk reef supply and have been very happy with their products.
    10. Prayer and lots of it!

Experiment with the items above and take weekly pictures. You'll see improvements soon enough and it will make an great photo journal for the future.

Good Luck.....I'm rooting for ya.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  11. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

Quick question about mag, I have never used it before, I have a ton of hair algae in my tank. This could possibly help it? What form does it come in, powder liquid, and will it affect anything else in my tank, corals, fish inverts?

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I believe this may be bryopsis, it is very fern like and looks like what I had/have. Unfortunately nothing eats it, or at least consistently, and is extremely hard, if not impossible to eradicate depending upon the type. Hopefully it's not, but to me it looks like it is.
    I also wanted to say that this thread makes me feel much better. I thought my tank was ugly, but compared to some of you guys it looks spic and span.