Ugly Tank Contest!

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Nov 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

hey totter - your xenia's quit pulsing because of low iodide (iodine I think only comes in this form - maybe the chemical pros can help me on this) levels dropped too low. This happened with mine, I got it back up and they started pulsing again.

2. Click Here!

3. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok here we go
    Some algae between the coral, can't seem to get it all when I do it manually so it just keeps growing and growin...
    [​IMG]

Some film growing on the sand bed
    [​IMG]

More of it
    [​IMG]

Some algae I can not get rid its seriously all over the tank
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My Zoas wont open up anymore and I blame it on this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And more...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even my glass is dirty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then there's this wierd stuff on the bottom of one of my rocks
    [​IMG]

It's growing on my equipment too
    [​IMG]

By my mushrooms
    [​IMG]

My camera doesnt take the best pics but hopefully you can get an idea of how ugly it is

4. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

I've heard that also but I add iodine on a regular basis, they eventually ended shrinking up and then dissappeaing, sorry havent updated my sig in awhile

5. scootman

scootman Plankton

Just joined the forum, so let me start by saying "Hi".

Last year I had a Hair Algae explosion. It got so bad that some of my pulsing xenias were actually anchored to the hair algae and not the liverock underneath. My entire tank (including plumbing, substrate and glass) was covered with the stuff. I nearly got out of the hobby as a result. Luckily, I added a better clean up crew (Thanks to John) and changed many bad husbandry habits and the Hair algae was gone in a few weeks. Here is a closeup pic from last year:

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Scoots

6. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Alright, I've gotta try this contest. I am being plagued by this horrid algae. I believe that this may be some sort of dinflagellate plague.. :angry: I hate them. I am now trying lights our for three days to see what happens.

Attached Files:

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

lotzofish I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!!!! it will get better...

8. Click Here!

9. locod

locod Flamingo Tongue

It looks like when the plane crashed it leaked fuel all over the sand bed?

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

haha I agree more like an oil tank ran aground and the oil spilled all over and then then lit ablaze haha! im tired of diatoms!

11. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Hey scoot! How goes it? What is the name of that club, I thought I had it but accidentally sponsored a different forum. They are great too, but not the right one. Seminoles could be worse this year, I have hope. I bet you are hearing it about the gators though. :) Tebow is great, no getting around that.

That is pretty bad totter. I think if we had a full tank shot of that you would be in the lead, it is pretty bad.

Oh man lotzo, and on such a nice tank! When you see the brown algae up close does it have air bubbles trapped in it when the lights have been on for some time? (Or at all?)

12. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

LOL! I think cleaning up an oil spill would be easier than trying to get rid of this crap.:)