Ugly Tank Contest Winner!

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Nov 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Here can be from 9-30/lb depending on what you want, marshall island and tonga are 20+ here fiji is stupid expensive to, one guy has started selling boxes of 50lbs uncured for like 200 bucks so thats the cheapest you can get live rock here

I'll just keep ordering it online and saving cash :p

and yeah that one tank I thought it was a pic of a fuge, grats to the winners though

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

it may be they ugliest rock on earth, (weighs a ton too for its small size), but my neomeris is taking off!

4. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

NEVER SURRENDER!!! I intend to have this algae issue under control before the next contest! :)

2 people like this.
  5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I agree. It's not the nastiest tank (if you look at the big version on John's forum, you can see a lot of algae growth in the rock).

But part of me feels on the really nasty ones: how did you let it get that bad? Felt wrong rewarding neglect (I'm sure I'm over assuming when I say that - hard to judge from a pic how much effort was given; no disrespect to the contestants). But does that make sense?

The first pic had a lot of build up in its own right, but also looked like they were trying real hard to keep it under control. Tank looks too promising to me - I want to see it reach its potential, as John says.

So it came down, for me, to the first one and Mystique. And the tie breaker (if you want to know) was that in Mystique's tank I saw some (rather large) bright green plant growing in the middle. Probably my inexperience, but I didn't know what it was and thought it looked like it shouldn't be there. Also, the water level looked low and I assumed (I know, I shouldn't do that) it meant top-off wasn't being performed affecting the overall params of the tank. I had to make a decision then and didn't have time to research or ask the contestants questions - it was JMO at that time.

But they are all excellently ugly! Congrats to all for making it to the finals! :p

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

we should do a "Clean Tank" spinoff off "Clean House"