Ugly Tank Contest 3

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Nov 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Sorry just saw needed to be in before the 15th.

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

maybe next year! ;)

We have a winner people! here are our votes:

jt - tank #1
    rn - my vote is for #3 he looks like he takes care of his tank as well, but
    lacks some good lights!
    ec - Hi John, My vote for the ugly tank contest is for tank #1. I am tank #5
    hydrolic from 3reef This was a hard decision, and since I can't vote for myself, I vote for tank # 6.
    hydrolic (#3) from 3reef - gexx
    amjckay (#3)

#3 is our winner, congrats to 3reef! Its members have won the ugly tank contest 3 years in a row now! :)

Congrats again to hydrologic! Owner of the ugliest tank in all of aquaria for 2010:

[​IMG]
    (It really just says more about how active and fun this community is than enything else, the other boards got some ugly tanks too, they are just afraid to post them.)

4. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

Wow!!!! What an honor! Ugliest tank in aquaria 2010!!!! This is such a surprise; I didn't have time to make my list of people to thank, but... I’d like to thank myself for not quarantining my live rock, I’d like to thank my CUC for being inadequate, I’d like to thank the tenaciousness of caulerpa verticillata, my worthy enemy, I’d like to thank my healthy tank for giving the macro such a great place to grow, I’d like to thank my budget as a law student for not allowing me to buy a GFO reactor, I’d like to thank fish poop, I’d like to thank all those at 3reef.com who know an UGLY tank when they see one, and last but not least, I’d like to thank John Maloney of reefcleaners.org for putting on such a fun contest. Without each of you, this would not be possible. The music started playing me off about 2 minutes ago ::cheesy:: cheesy:: cheesy::

Seriously though, the ugly tank contest is great and something really special for 3reef. I love my tank and have been trying to fight this caulerpa for a while now. My new strategy is two pronged, physical removal and lower nutrients as much as possible.

As for lowering the nutrients, I replaced my skimmer about two months ago with a bubble-magus NAC3.5, I’m adding a bit more live rock, I’ll be stirring the sand a bit in some places before my more frequent water changes.

As far as physical removal, I’ll be trying to tear as much as possible out by hand, like I usually do, and that combined with the custom CUC from reefcleaners.org should do the trick. However, the key is the CUC. I know that without it the caulerpa would be back in no time.

I’m looking forward to seeing my rocks again!!! I’ll be documenting the progress which will be very interesting to see unfold. Should I start a new thread for that? I’m thinking I should. Titled “reefcleaners.org to the rescue”

Again, thank you 3reef and thank you John at reefcleaners.org!

Sincerely,

Hydrologic
    2010 Ugliest Tank in Aquaria :p

2 people like this.
  5. johnmaloney

lol! I didnt notice your post before I had this screen open awhile...that is hilarious! :) Thanks for being a good sport. Lets kill some caulerpa, I will be expecting your pm. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

lol. Congrats! Nice speech. :)
    Thanks John for the fun contest!
    matt

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

somewhere hiding underneath all that algae
    is a beautiful reef tank waiting to be discovered

John, that CUC you send him, may be talking to the union!

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

;D as long as they dont strike we should be able to work something out. otherwise the puffer. :klingon:

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You Rock hydrologic, too funny. :cheesy:

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Agreed...hilarious speech...thanks for the great contest John....but I hope to NOT to be in it next year.