Ugly Tank Contest 2: Cyano's Revenge

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Nov 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

the ceriths aren't going to do much for established GHA. Discourage its growth, but not remove an established problem.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hmm maybe that's why i haven't seen it pop up anywhere else than it already is

4. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

It will peel off but im too lazy.
    Im havig a lot of brown powdery stuff right now. Not sure what its from. Nitrates are at 5 ppm and phosphate 0. Have been doing weekly water changes as well.
    and some stuff that might be byropsis (sp?) which is a scary thought but I can't pull it all out. Its on a rock with zoas and I have scraped at it.

5. johnmaloney

i can let you know for sure if you end up with a close up pic one day. treating it with magnesium sulfate works for most people, just watch your other parameters and do it slowly.

diatoms for the other? silicates in the water maybe, or from a new addition to the tank.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. meagan1823

I don't have a magnesium test so have no idea where that stands at.
    I have been useing IO but am slowly switching to Reef Crystals.
    The only thing I supplement right now is calcium and I use Kent's Liquid Reactor.

7. johnmaloney

you can kill byropsis off by raising your mag to around 1600-1800 with Epsom or Kent Tech M. The Kent Tech might be betterd for you, it comes with directions that are convenient and you won't have to look up conversions like for Epsom salt. If you were going to use it a lot the Epsom goes a long way, but for byropsis removal only reasonably priced Kent's is the better choice. Although Epsom is good for cuts and what not.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. texas92

texas92 Bristle Worm

na its ok man the nano is bad off. the wife it always hating on it wants it cleaned up or torn down her 28 cube at her office is flawless so i get a lot of beef from her.... lol

10. meagan1823

We have horses so usually keep epson salt around to soak hooves in when needed but I think ill go with Kent Tech M next time i go to a fish store.
    thanks

11. johnmaloney

well next time when she asks why haven't you cleaned it you have an excuse, you were in a contest. :)

12. texas92

texas92 Bristle Worm

yup only a couple more days left so I should be ok