Ughh Zoa pox...

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Aqualung, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

FWIW some of my zoas showed up with white patches on them and I thought I may have had zoa pox. Eventually they went away, the only thing I did was a freshwater dip (for other pests not the pox). I don't think either of us are qualified to really make an exact diagnosis as to what exactly the white patches are in both of our cases so it may be something totally different but just so you're aware it may not be a major problem.

Have you checked (and doublechecked) all of your parameters, especially calcium/alkalinity/magnesium/salinity (with a calibrated refractometer specifically)? I've noticed my zoas close up when my alk drops or when my salinity rises.

2. Click Here!

3. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yea I use a refracto.. salinity is good. I just did a 20% waterchange and dosing vitamins as usual. I'm taking a hands off approach and its working. It's not spreading at all.

4. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

I am taking care of coldshots tank while he is down and he hadf some red ones he got from a user here in the mail and a few weeks ago they just turned red and tumbled around the tank and then turned to mush so maybe we had the same problem but I havent a clue as to what happened.

5. CoralCrazy

CoralCrazy Spaghetti Worm

Glad this thread was around, I noticed white spots on my zoas the other day and was trying to figure out what it was as they seemed to be closing up and not looking too great.

I read that article in this thread and went right out and got some Furan 2, I am medicating them now.

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

How's the Furan2 working? I've been so tied up with school and my new job, I have not dipped or nothing. I'm just letting it take it's course or handsoff method! One colon has a made a full recover while two others are still infected. I have two other zoa colonies totally unaffected.

7. ducktales

ducktales Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

furan 2 is the best. i did it on mine and my pox went away on two frags.

8. Click Here!

9. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

You can try giving the zoanthid colonies a bath with an Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully kill and or help prevent the spread of the problem you are having.