Ugh, if it's not one thing, its another! Help!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Brandon1023, Jun 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Is brown jelly disease contagious? Because in my other thread about my plate coral looking sad, we kind of determined it might be brown jelly. Well I did the iodine dip and the plate still looks pretty sad (see the last pic). But now my colt coral is going downhill too! Only one stalk looks sad, and the rest is perked up like normal. Could the green star polyps right next to it have stung it? I cant find much on the GSP's aggressiveness other than it can encrust over SPS. Or is the brown jelly contagious? Should I just cut that stalk off altogether? :-[

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Brown jelly disease can be contagious. The GSP don't look close enough to the coral to sting it in those pictures but I'm wondering if the "infected" stalk hung down into the GSP when it was fully extended? I would go ahead and remove the infected stalk if it is in fact infected. Can you remove the colt to dip it?

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

So GSP is a stinger? Yes when the colt was fully extended, it was touching the GSPs. I went ahead and cut that stalk off. But I was wondering, I have it in an iodine dip right now. After that, would it be safe to put it back in the tank in an attempt to save it? Try to get it to re-attach and stuff?

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yes Green Star Polyps will sting. They killed a number of my leather toadstool shrooms.

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I have a hard time believing your GSP's killed a leather. Leathers are ruthless.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's what I would do. Unless you have a coral QT tank set up, I don't see any other options :)

8. Click Here!

9. christyf5

christyf5 Astrea Snail

It looks like you have an aiptasia next to the colt in the second and third photos. Aiptasias pack quite a wallop, I'd bet thats whats causing the damage. Either move the colt or nuke the aiptasia with something (ie. joes juice/kalk/hotwater/vinegar).

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well this would be the first time since those aiptasia appeared months ago that they have bothered the colt. I have never had a problem with aiptasia stinging my corals. There is an aiptasia right in the middle of my xenia, too, and that coral is not only doing fine, it's GROWING!