Typical Saltwater...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Z-Ice, Feb 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

When you run out, go buy yourself some cheap, old fashioned epsom salts (aka magnesium sulfate). :)

2. Click Here!

3. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

humm

How do I know how much to add if I go out and buy Mg sulfate (salts)?

Once I reach my desired level. I should not have to add much more. Just a little over time if my numbers get off. Right?

I have 33 teaspoons in thus far. I will add a bunch more tonight after I test my levels.

My 25 new snails are doing a pretty good job. I am supprised. I cannot wait until I get Tangsters shipment. It is going to be a zoo in there! I love it!

Zak

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's hard to say how much mag you'll need to add regularly until you get a feel for how much your system actually uses. Once you get your mag/ca/alk up to the proper levels, start testing those levels every week. If the levels drop, then add a little of whichever supplement is low then test again after about 24 hours to see how much the addition of the supplement(s) has raised your level(s). Now, that being said, once your water is at the proper levels, if you do regular water changes you might only need to supplement mag/calcium/buffer every once in a while depending on how much coralline growth you have and depending on what your coral load is.

1 person likes this.
  5. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

While all this action is necessary, won't this all be in vain to some degree if he doesn't beef up his system? IE: more rock, some kind of a macro algea in the sump, a chemical media such as filter pads, chemi pure, etc...
    IMO, I would 86 the CC for soft sand, most sand sifting critters prefer the soft sand.
    Adding more rock will help a ton, stacked in ther ight way, can look pleasing, give more room for corals, more hiding spaces for fish and those other living things in rocks that help eat dead things and fish poop and detritus that fuels algae.

6. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

design

I would like to add more live rock but I do not know how to design my tank.

Sorry for my crude drawings!!

Original: [​IMG]

Here is the desing you are shooting at(?):
    [​IMG]

I can add more LR but the fish will not have any good hiding spots. Currently they can swim behind or between LR to hide. If I put everything on the back wall in the middle then only small fish can hide. I want to have as much of an open bottom as possible.

also...one of my LR has polyps on it and on the backside large red mushrooms. I guess I could build up the back in the middle and keep that LR on the side out in the open?

What are some ideas? Let me guess... up to me, right? :):confused:

Thanks,
    Zak

7. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

Ok fine :) Is this better?

Upgrade from 20lb LR to 41lb LR

41 lb of live rock. Now all I need is more snails to keep it clean. They should be here early next week. So Kimmy is this to your satisfaction? I know even more would be better... I love having newbies at fish stores... Instead of buying the crappy ugly new LR...I bought the LR which is in the main display tanks. ;D hehehe

Zak
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Zak can you get a good close up of the algae and also is that the overflow to sump I see in the right side rear ? If so what main pump do you use and then Post your Levels of DKH and Ca. and Mag from your last test ... Also what are you using for internal water circulation for the tank ?

10. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

setup

I will get you a good shot of the algae tonight.

I am using a RIO 2100. Currently, I have it at about 1/2 power. It enters at the top left. It is the main source oxygenationin my main tank.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters-etc/overflow-problem-43007-2.html

I have 2 powerhead in my main tank for circulation. They are 170 gph. See link below. Right Side and Left Side toward the top. They each have a foam pad. (they get full of algae after a while as you can see) I clean them every 2 weeks. Overflow is in the box top rightish.
    http://www.z-ice.com/Aquarium/Algae/More_Rock/DSC02061.jpg

My tank has been running for approx. 8 months.

I will get you an update of my levels tonight. A day or so ago.. Ca 410, PO4=0, Mg. 1000, Nitrate 0.10. I am still adding MG but it does not want to rise. I have added 1.5 bottles of the Mg stuff. 1.0 has been added into my tank thus far. 0.5 in ATO water supply. Probably be added when I get home?

Zak

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  11. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

Levels

Here is what I got:

NO3: 10ppm
    NO2: 0 ppm
    PO4: 0 ppm
    Ca: 420 ppm
    DK: 3°dH
    Mg: 1100 ppm
    PH: 8.4
    Total ALK: 2.5 meq/L
    Borate ALK: 1.8 meq/L
    Carbonate ALK: (2.5-1.8 )=0.7 meq/L

Here is some pictures of my algae:
    Zoom on Algae

Does everything look ok? (minus the algae) ::)

Thanks,
    Zak

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Are those anemone majano in that picture? If they are, get them out quick like.