Typical Saltwater...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Z-Ice, Feb 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's a good question. My water movement is such that detritus settles in only 3 locations and all the rest of the sand remains very clean. I siphon these 3 areas off before water changes as part of regular tank maintenance.

Amcarrig is right when she said that CC shouldn't present a problem if it's cleaned regularly. To me, it's just another variable to add. Why have a bottom that needs to be scooped up, disturbed and vacuumed? Been there and done that. THAT'S where that big dustbowl to which you refer is created.

In a tank with a sand bottom, so long as there's ample water movement, the sand remains clean.

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I don't think there is any magic number for snails, too many variables, just play with it and find out what is right for you.

4. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I was having the same problem, well, not that bad, but similar, I solved it by using 000 ppm DI water, the algae died off and everything was well. I have very few hermit crabs, nass. snails, one conch, couple of sally crabs and one emerald. The rest of the algae was eaten by my coral beauty and yellow tang.

Am I wrong or isn't 340 CA a bit low?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

340 CA is low but unless we know what his/her magnesium level is yet, most of us won't recommend supplementing calcium or buffer as it might be an exercise in futility :D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  6. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

Magnesium

I just ordered a Magesium test kit. Hopefully it will be here in a day or two. LFS, both of them, kinda looked at me funny when I asked for a Magesium test kit?

This is not good.!

Zak

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hmmmmm....not a good sign! :)

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

In a 55 that you have never add Mag. to Just Get some Epsom Salts and toss in a whole 8 oz cup that will move it a little into the correct direction and get the Ca and DKH up while raising the Magnesium also.. Just don't let calcium get to far over the Carbonates or vis versa. And find a different LFS if they looked at you funny when asking about a mag test kit.. I bet the have watered down Magnesium/Epsom Salts for sale on the shelf at around $20.for a Qt. gallon or so.

10. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

pull the long stuff out, and amp up your snails to get the rest, ive never had good luck with tangs

11. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

levels

I after I get my Mg test kit. I will dive into the calcium and Mg. I probably will not get the kit until early next week. I have 20 Astrea Snails and 15 blue Hermits ordered from my LFS. They will be arriving on Friday.(tomorrow) My bulk, main, order Tangster should have to me by Tuesday.8) I cannot wait. I went through the tank and grabbed all the big pieces of algae. I will do it again before my order with Tangster gets to me.

I think I have to one more 48 hour, remove the red algae, cleaning. I put the chemicals in on Monday but did not seem to help. I will repeat with a good water change at the end.

Zak

12. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

thinking

I was trying to figure out what caused my algae build up. I never had it before. I would have some algae but never this much. Well come to find out. All my snails were gone. 1/2 my blue crabs are gone. It makes sense to me know. The little things one does not realize.! I will not fall behind again.:eek:

Zak