Typical Saltwater...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Z-Ice, Feb 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

substrate?

When you do your weekly cleaning doesn't sand make the water turn to a big dust ball? The reason I chose substrate was the look and I did not want a muddy mess. Am I wrong?

Others.... (no offense, ReefSparky,) but does everyone else agree with the substrate proposition?

Thanks... they are getting soo big. I do not have decent pics of them.

I can update my sump so the main chamber is a fuge but dunno? I wanted to keep from this but perhaps not?

Thanks,
    Zak
    P.S. To everyone... thanks for all the help and future help you are giving... :) Please continue ...:cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I recently heard 5 snails per gallon... wouldn't want them to be all large snails but tells you not to be scared to add snails...

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Actully I was in the Wal-mart by me tonight, it is a big brand new store and they do sell RO water but i saw no mention of DI anywhere. Not only that its more expensive than my LFS by abut .50 a gallon so I guess I will continue going there for now.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you keep your crushed coral substrate clean, it shouldn't cause you many problems.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

P.S. As for test kits, we all use seperate tests for each "element." You definitely need to pick up more snails and a magnesium test kit. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Get a hold of Tangster, he can set you up with a clean up crew probably cheaper then you LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

I am sorry if I lead you to believe the water was DI. The walmart by me only has RO but I was very suprised the quality was 5ppm. I did not test for other elements such as PO4 etc..

All I know it the water from Walmart is much better than my sink.(274 ppm)! Not to mention all the chlorine from the city.

I will go back to my LFS and buy all the snails they have. I guess I am not impressed with them as I used to be. More knowledge...less they seem equipped.

Thanks,
    Zak

10. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

contact

Thanks for the info... I will contact him.

Where is a good site to get a Mg test kit?

Zak

11. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

snail count

So for my 55 gallon tank... what is the magic number of snails and crabs?

Thanks,
    Zak

12. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

Otty's right. Tangster is also a great resource for frags -- healthy and beautiful. + you know where they've been! LOL