Typical Saltwater...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Z-Ice, Feb 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Buy a turkey baster and spot feed him.

I wouldn't add anymore Purlple up till you buy a test kit and test for Calcium,and Alkalinity not a good practice adding suplements without knowing the levels. I maybe wrong about this but I would say the the Green algae is eating all the food and thats why the coaline is dying off.

Use pre-cured rock, most fish stores have it. It might start a mini cycle but you should be okay.

didn't know Wal-Mart sold RODI water, going to have to check that out till I get mine installed.

Buy more snails, I have way more snails then crabs, I feel that they are what helps keep my tanks algae free. adn I agree with what amcarrig says about the starfish.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is there an echo in here? :lol:

Seriously though, if you decide to buy r.o. water from a store, be prepared to test it for ammonia, nitrate and phosphates. You don't know how often they change the filters at the store so adding their water could do more harm than good.

4. bigrf33

bigrf33 Astrea Snail

will red slime algae harm my fish or soft corals, tank 1 month old just got rid of brown algae 2 wk ago

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You posted while I was typing, I had to stop and do what my boss pays me for (you know work) by the time I got back to it you had already beaten me.

Imagine my surprise when I saw your post :eek: , thats why I edited it and added the part about agreeing with yo about the starfish!!

Point about walmart water is noted, I will have RODI installed in a couple of months but till then I might check that out, at the price of gas wal-mart is within walking distance, LFS not.....

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: I actually had a slow day at work today which is not usual the way things have been going lately :D

7. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

testing cont...

Ok I purchased some additional testing kits:

PO4: 0.0 (maybe 0.1 ppm)
    PH: 8.4 (another crappier test said +7.8)
    Calcium: 340 ppm
    KH: 3.5 (deg) dh
    Nitrate: ~20 ppm
    Nitrite: 0.0

Now what? :confused:

I just bought 3 more hermit crabs and 5 snails.

Zak

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

5 Snail???? Don't really know what you are thinking but when they say get more snail they are talking about 30 to 50 of them for a tank that is infested with algae like yours. 5 is probably not even going to put a dent in it.
    What is your Mg at?

10. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

snail death

So a tank like mine will hold and keep 50 hermit crabs and 50 snails! This is going to be expensive. Oh well. Won't my nitrates rise because a great number of them will die?

I will go back to the store tomorrow and buy all the snails they have. They were running low on hermit crabs.

I do not know my Mg level. They did not have a test for it. How do you test for all these? Do you have individual kits, like I do, which you grab 5 ml of water and add drops?

So nothing much else can be done besides cleaning with my hands and get a bigger cleaning crew?

Thanks,
    Zak

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Looks like you have a crushed coral substrate. With an algae problem, it fuels the fire exponentially. Algae blooms between those large, oxygenated nooks and crannies of the CC, and once it dies off from lack of light, produces nitrates. Also, those big nooks and crannies house a lot of detritus too.

I got rid of my CC substrate for that very reason. I replaced it with pretty fine carbonate based sand. Not the live stuff in the wet bag. A 20 lb bag of dry, carbonate based sand (wasn't even aragonite, although that would have been better) for $9.99.

Consider some macro algaes in your sump or fuge too, like chaeto with light off cycle with the main tank's light. Worked for me.

Good luck.

BTW, those mushrooms are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

For that matter, you don't know if it's RO/DI water they're selling you either.