Typhoon III HELP !!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by techno2, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK,
    Here is what I did,
    I put a T on the water in and connected both units. Followed the setup instructions.
    By the time I got to output DI, it was draining quite a bit and I filled a bucket to about 3 gallons, then the RO/DI output diminished and the PSI on the unit went to 0.

I'm really at a loss here guys.

Anyone have the answer ?

Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

What does the PSI read BEFORE you start producing water?

Remove ALL the filters. The sediment filters, the RO membrane, the DI canister. ALL of them. Then run water through the system. After 10 minutes if you don't see a decrease in pressure, start adding filters and give each one about 10 minutes. If still no decrease, keep adding them until you find what is causing the issue. Then you can solve it.

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Shrug -
    I did produce 3 gallon prior to it shutting down, I would hope that tells me its not clogged, but I have nothing left to try I guess.

Thanks

5. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

What the 3 gallons implies to me is something that can move back and forth (debris of some kind) that will not be in the way but slowly move into the way. But the 0 PSI indicates you are losing pressure from the supply. If you are using the same supply line as you used before, then it says that it isn't in the supply part until you get to the new unit. And if its losing pressure something is causing it and finding that issue is trial and error where you start going through the system until you find it. You can do the same testing without removing the membranes, just release the water line from the out side of the filter and see what water flow you get through for a few minutes.

6. carpenter

carpenter Feather Duster

I'm not sure that there is a problem. I have the 100 gal/day Typhoon III and it takes 90 seconds to fill ONE PINT. The entire time I have a STRONG stream of water coming out of the waste line. Have you tested the TDS of the different samples? I had an tap water reading around 30 ppm, a DI only of 7 ppm, and a RODI of 0. I got these results in the first 10 gallons of water. If your water is extremely hard it will make more waste water. If your water is cooler than 70 deg F it will make more waste. In the end its really about water purity, so test your water and see. The Typhoon III Extreme is an extremely well made, high quality WELL priced piece of equipment, you won't regret this buy. Also, have you tried sending an e-mail to the guys at AirWaterandIce? They got back to me the next day.

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Well mine got to 3 gallons then shut down.
    Are you using both outputs or just the RO/DI output ?
    When you close the DI Bypass, what does that do exactly ?

Yes, emailed and called numerous times with nor response yet...

8. Click Here!

9. dufresne

dufresne Feather Duster

I agree with carpenter, don't think there is anything wrong with the unit.
    Do you have a float valve at the end that goes to the WC jug?
    The ASOV would shut off the unit if there is pressure in the output line.
    Anyway, I hope you resolve it whatever it is.. I'm sure AWI will respond and help you.
    I have mine directly connected to my sump with a float valve.

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Finally heard back today, I used a different email account. Sometimes the primary fails for some reason. AWI had / has phone issues so I could not speak directly to someone, but went back and forth in email for a bit.

The suggestion was basically what you all suggested, take the filters out one at a time to see wahts going on. I will do that this weekend. I am planning to run the intake tube out side so water leak wont be an issue.

My goal for the tank would be to install the ATO Level Lock system from BRS in my sump and T off that line for filling buckets on demand for WC.

I am getting the feeling that the RO only output is not enough for suppling the refridgerator for ice and dricking water though. Without the reserve jug as my current system has and the AWI Dual Home / Reef system has, I'm just not sure that will work. I may need to run two units, my existing RO for the refridgerator and the TIII for the tank. <Shrug>

For now, I would like to just see the unit work. I will do this filter removal testing this weekend and see what happens.

AWI did confirm that the fast flush valve will hiss for the first three days while it is getting up to speed so thats good, i guess.

ATO for the tank just shouldnt bee this much work... Almost easier to go to the store and buy the one gallon DI jugs like I have been doing..

Thanks ALL. I will update my findings from this weekend.

Cheers

11. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Here is the results from removing the filters and testing.

No Filter, water ran free for 10 minutes, I had fast flush closed and water came out both ports fairly good speed.

Same was true for all four of the base filters.

When I added the Membrane, the Pressure gauge went to 50 PSI, the fast flush started hissing, and water only trickled out the Pure output. Trickle to barley trickling.. I let this trickle for about 5 minutes then shut it down.

Cheers

12. dufresne

dufresne Feather Duster

Well, as I said I didn't expect AWI to ship it to you if it didn't work properly.
    Anyway, glad to hear you figured it out!
    btw, what's ATO Level Lock system from BRS?