two weeks of cycling

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mac77, Dec 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

snails and crabs

It never hurts to add snails and crabs... load it up. Get some RO/DI water. Check the water and your tank for PO4s.

Zak

2. Click Here!

3. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

Well I've been cycling my tanks since feb 9th. I haven't seen any algea besides a lil diatoms on the sand. I also have 4 snails in there that came with the LS don't know if that helped being it's only 4 of them. But they didn't starve to death so I tke that as a sign. They even survived the initial cycle.

4. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Well I am also cycling my tank and i have a lot of brown (i guees diatoms) all over my sand and some green algea on my rocks. I have 6 snails and 2 yellow tailed damsels. I have a 90 gal tank with a 30 gal. sump/fuge. everything seems to be going good. So just take your time and dont rush anything i have sorta rushed it with the snails but i dont plan on adding anything for a few more weeks or months. It all takes time for a good tank.

5. andybethke

andybethke Flamingo Tongue

well ive been cycling my tank for about 2 weeks now and yesterday i went locked and loaded with 2clowns and an anemone and a full cleaning crew.... ill let you know how it goes... my live rock came from an established tank as did my ls and 50% of my water.... so guess we shall see... ive had several respected local aquarists tell me its ok to add fish after 2 weeks... but everything i read on the internet says ALOT longer... so guess im trying this out lol

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Its your money but you should be waiting until the tank has matured for a while before adding that much load all at once. As for the anemone...that should not even be thought about at this stage of the tanks life.
    This is not a race! It is a eco-system that takes time to develop. Kills me how people think this is a piece of furniture they put in their house and BOOM it's a established tank ready for anything.

Hope things work out for you..:-/

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

If you were serious about stopping algae why didn't you bake all your rock in bleach and start with no algae???

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This thread is 3 years old fellas. :)

10. andybethke

andybethke Flamingo Tongue

lol how do these threads get bumped lol i need to start looking at the dates

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Dude, its clear to me that you have not done any research before you started your journey. Your setting up yourself for failure. I dont want to sound rude, but its the truth. I wish you and your creatures much luck.