TWO overflows THREE tanks ONE return pump

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by fishflyer, Nov 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

OK so I have almost completed my stand and most of my new equipment has arrived so the last big project will be the plumbing.

I have been planning on building a DIY overflow from the tank to a sump below to house skimmer,UV,heater,etc. Then have the same type of overflow go down another level to the fuge and then get returned back up to the main tank via mag 9.5

The bottom fuge tank will have enough room to hold the overflow when the pump is shut down.

Does anyone see any problems with this before I start to cut the PVC?

My main concern is that both overflows drain at the same rate. They will both be 1'' pvc but tubes on the tank overflow will be different lengths than sump 1 overflow.

All criticism welcomed, thanks in advanced.

2. Click Here!

3. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

Sounds like it would work. FWIW I think it would be better if the tanks were drilled that way you dont have to worry about restarting the overflows I made the restarting diy pvc overflows and their really nice for what they are but during one power outage they didnt restart and I burnt up a mag9.5 and slightly overflowed the display But all in all it sounds like you have a good project on your hands and I really like the mag 9.5 great pumps The one I lost was totaly my fault

Have fun and post some pics

Ricky

4. fishflyer

Thanks Ricky. I have had the last few days off and have been testing out the overflows and have come to the conclusion that drilling the middle tank will be the best. This is because I want the water level to be pretty low in the first sump and the DIY overflows I am building (from COVEYS mega thread) do not work when the intake is down low near the outflow "T".

Now the problem is how to drill the tank :-/ or throw a lot more cash out and spring for a acrylic sump. I am almost sure that the sides of my 20 long are not tempered. Maybe a local glass shop would drill it out. Keep y'all updated.

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

If anything have the 2nd overflow have the ability to run faster than the first. That way you don't need to worry about the first sump somehow backing up and flooding.

6. fishflyer

Thanks Blade I found a local glass shop that said they would drill out my tank. So I think I will have them put holes for two 1'' bulkheads and skip the two overflow idea. With two 1'' bulkheads low on the sump I can keep the water level a little lower and should not have to worry about it keeping up with the tank overflow. Only downer is the charge $20 a hole:-/