Two new 100 G starfire glassand tank and one 80G tank incomming

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mudbeaver, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm having a civil engineer inspect the structur of the building ,the floor in particular for just that reason. He says that if we can put some sort of skid beam across the weight we can deflect and spread the load onto the rest of the floor. Very dualble. Better be at $150 an hour he's gona cost me close to $700 for that little tour thuesday.....Better that than to sinking to the first floor and killing the first floor lady, lol.;D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  4. basile

basile Feather Duster

Ask him to do a cam survey and a spectrometer survey as well, they drill a hole and introduce a camera and with a special spectrometer mesure the stress level of beam and their direction i think.

5. Mudbeaver

New direction

Ok well now it looks like the floor plan that I've obtain from the city archives shows the floors to be reinforced concrete 6 inches thick, OUFFF. That's a relief!! My tanks are now side by sides in an "L" shape position with the 72 inch long 6 feet 19" high Rimless , 28" from the floor on one side and the display refugium , Rimless on a custom steel stand 6 feet high on the other side dumping by gravity into the reef tank. The sump will be under the fuge , I have lots of room. Now since the fuge is no longer on top of the main reef tank I've scale down to a 48x18x21 =75G starphire display tank and the sump being under a six feet stand can be large, so a 90 G is perfect, can be splash proof and contain any future equipment .

6. oldfishkeeper

yes, a collapsing floor and dead neighbor wouldn't be good lol - you crack me up mud.

7. Mudbeaver

Yep that's me; the first time I gave her a 67 gallons ****** now I told her I'm preparing her a 305 gallons spa lol, she laugh, we're good neighbors actually she bought one of my tank, the 29 g biocube I had .

8. Click Here!

9. Mudbeaver

Well now i'm retilling the floor just so my new tank can leak at leasier and cause no damage lol. Actually its a big side project . Removing the 16 years old carpet no description necessary to envision the monstracity that it is, to see that its not a luxury. I'm replacing it with Terracotta tiles, water proof with a sealer and resistant.... better in case of a spilll. So the room in fact the whole condo will be done by the time the tanks arrive. Now that the plans have been modified to be split in two and the fuge reduced a bit , the floor is a non issue. If a wooden floor can hold a 140g so can my 8" cement floors.;D

10. oldfishkeeper

sounds like the floor will be a nice improvement. Terra cotta (sp) tiles sounds really nice.

11. Mudbeaver

Its italian hand made tiles as oppose to Mexican terrcotta tiles who are a deep orange red you see them also on top of houses in Spain and Italy. But the Italians make several different colors, mine are cream and beige, and are very porous they look like sponge to the eye and touch. So when you put the grout you can either fill those pores or not . Giving a different texture to the floor. Its also very expensive. For my place which is not that big its $ 7000 just for the tiles. Having it installed would of been $ 15 000 , but i'm doing it myself which is actually fun , but makes me realise that the spring chicken is long gone.....lol.;D

12. oldfishkeeper

isn't that the truth! this spring chicken left a while ago. I just got done (finally) mulching all of the front part of our yard and I'm so SORE! Just a little behind given that most people mulch in the spring lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.