Two new 100 G starfire glassand tank and one 80G tank incomming

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mudbeaver, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

Iodine red Macro's need iodine, more than most, but iodine can be a poison so you need a way to test your water before you can dose iodine. Some do well without dosing but in the long run they die . You'll need it, we'll talk more when the time comes.

2. Click Here!

3. Mudbeaver

Inspirations

Some of you have asked me where did i get the idea for the cats stairs well here it is, lol enjoy......

This is not my house, its where i took the idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean i love my cats but in every room and every corner, specially the kitchen, no . I need a life too, lol i don't know where is this house but the fur must be awfull. I gave my cats a room thats enough lol.

4. Mudbeaver

Over due socks an experiment

I've changed my socks today they were clogged , and i mean clogged so much that the water was going over the lip directly to the skimmer side and the RO, top off system was being disrupted. But all that was by design. I was doing it to see how many days it took to clogged my socks entirely to disrupt the system; a controlled experiment to see how comfortable i can be with my system . So what does it mean if it takes more than a week to clog my sock and for some it only takes two days , thats a question i'm asking at large because on that i have no idea. i usually change them every 4-5 days when i start seeing the level rise in that chamber it means the water is not getting through the socks as it should. How does your sock fair compare to mine. i have no idea. My tank is softies and LPS , with a huge refugium . 2 socks. For a 150 G Reef and a 75 G refugium full of macro algeas. And i'm dosing.

So anybody tried that.

i invite everybody to try this experiment. Its a good way to learn about your system health and whats in it. Every system is different, different bioloads, different waterflows, feeding method, dosing, some have fuge some don't. its a good way to gage the nutrient and particule traveling in your system and how long you can stretch it without being in trouble. Mine was 8 days before the ATO system was disturbing the gravity , since the flow was interupted and the ato was compensating too much, it reduced my gravity by 0.02 . It only take about a week of your time. Have fun, and don't forget to test your parameters before and after the experiment . You'd be surprise at the result, i was.

The thing is does it influence your gravity, does your flow is reduced enough that your ATO over compensates to create problems for you. this is also good to know when you go on vacation and you have someone look after your tank... its a plus info on your system .

By the way guy i forgot to mention i use felt sock those using mesh would have a very different result. As mesh leaves more water flow go through and don't clog as easely. Big difference here, of material.

I did this experiment for my benefice, lol and asked if anyone else had done a similar one. But i wanted to find out how long i could go without changing the socks before it became a problem. Like i said it was a controlled experiment. Each system is wired differently with its own connections, baffles and sections. You can't compare systems. I'm learning about mine now. Plus it'll change if i add other fish too right now i only have 2 big fish, but if i add 2 more herbies who produce like cows, thats going to play as well with the discharge, change the data.

So any thoughts on that experiemnt and have you tried something like it and would you consider it?

5. Mudbeaver

Hi i've decided to close my account and thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.