Two new 100 G starfire glassand tank and one 80G tank incomming

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mudbeaver, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

Got my sponges

I have 2 Ptilocaulis sp. ; a red tree and an orange tree the Axinella bookhouti is a fan sponge that eats bacteria

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put in their right place medium light with strong flow, 2 tunze 6095 on each end and a wavebox at full capacity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another pair of yellow sponge

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

very pretty mud! I love sponges - they usually have such intense color.

4. Mudbeaver

Thanks i think so too.

5. Mudbeaver

8 weeks in photo shoot review

8 weeks in photo shoot review

[​IMG]

I made a shot with the blinds open and shut thats why the two identical or so shots.

[​IMG]

The fuge really has been the most succesfull of the 2 tanks. Turning OFF the GFO , the Ulva literally exploded in there it quadrupled in size i sold some already , got to get some of the $307 back lol.

[​IMG]

The main sculpture affectionately dubbed the rock remains the most problematic to fill. Its not money, its my lack of knowledge of corals that is the problem. As good of an aquasculpture i'm suppose to be i lack experience in the coral speciment choices and what they need and can do. so the process take longer. I know more about Macro algaes lol and softies actually than sps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to put these 3 branch on the the zoo sculpture but the more i see them there the more i see them there.....do i make sense. they seem to be right at home at that location making a break in the sand

[​IMG]

The addition of sponge is not purely asthetics it has a purpose for me.I had sponges in my last system and my water was , no kidding imaculate. And reading more about sponges and reseaching about them i found out that they process an incredible amount of water in a very short time. Since my system devoted to softies and macroalgaes requires a muddier environment i decided to evoke the help of sponges to clear up some of the extra particules.

[​IMG]

One thing i'me very happy with is my CUC . Mainly the fact that i don't rely on snails so much. I do have some but very few and not for the algae control, as much as others do. I've decided to use more interesting animals such as the urchins, which live longer and eats a wider range of algaes. The snails i use are more robust, such has the strawberry conch and also eats a greater range of algaes , and works the sand beautifully, only 3 of them for a 150G. Babylonian snails for detritus are great with only 10 they work the sand and its clean all the time. The rest the , serpent star,the brittle star and the seastar make the holy trinity of stars to catch the rest of it, the cucumber does what it does. I have a leftover cuc from the beginning that's dying off . Of course thats why i replaced them with the more permanent ones , those i wont have to replace every 2 months or so money down the drain.... Sucess at last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The NPS site is , and will be left for later i have a source that will help me get good speciments. Its not easy to get most LFS don't carry them but i found a place that order's them once a year. So when the time comes I'll populate that corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The health board making the rounds, lol.

[​IMG]

6. Mudbeaver

7. Mudbeaver

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Serious question and don't take it the wrong way. I've had cats before and I have a cat (by association to my gf) I am not a fan, but I am all for animal lovers of all kinds! You like cats, I like birds and birds are way more messy than our cat.

Do you worry about cat hair or other cat dander stuff like that getting into the tank? The cat we currently have is not nearly as messy as ones that I have had in the past. Please don't take this as me thinking you are not a clean person. I just know cats LOVE to get where they aren't suppose to be when you're not looking. haha

Am I being overly paranoid about the possible cross contamination?

BTW, this build thread has been amazing to watch! Your display fuge is inspiring me to add more macros to my fuge. I really love this setup you have here!

11. Mudbeaver

Thanks for following, its been quite the ride lol. I had cats before with tanks and never had issues with their fur ending up in the tank, really. As a matter a fact , these two were sleeping in them at one point, and it never occur to me about their hair ending up in the system. So when i started the tank and the next morning saw all those filament in the powerheads screen, i said what hair algae already!!! LOL then realised it was my cats hair in there, lol. I removed the surplus but what it is is basically protein that will desolve fairely quicklly, but wont influence your tank parameters much. That was at the start, Nowadays they can get close to the tank but they can't put hair in really. They occasionnaly take a sip, which they don't really like , and thats it. When they go in the back i take my water and vinegar spray bottle i use to clean the glass which is on the floor next to my RO 5G container and squirt them its like magic , did it only once they don't come back ever. Actually once but as soon as i move toward they know, and they never did any damaged either. they look at it and thats it. i care about my cats and my fish the trick is you have to show the cat you can be a menace. Once i persuded my cat for 30 min in the condo with fury, knocking things , making noises never hitting him but relentless persue, after he had done something on the tank. He never forgot that . I never touched him but he knows i protect those tanks. Its psychology as much as anything the word no will only take you so far, you have to show you mean business, at the end the cats was crying, the word is not too strong he knew.... he had done something and he never bothered the tanks again. That was other set up i had before . I also brush my cats every day they love it.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

It seems that a majority of cats love running water. I can totally see a cat wanting to get a drink and then the surprise! haha!

Well, I'm glad to know that it's not a big deal and you've figured out a way to steer them clear of the areas.

I was just curious more than anything. We have 2 dogs, 2 birds and a cat, so I see hair in the tank from time to time and wonder if there is any effect or anything to worry about.

Thanks! And someday I will be back to ask you some macro questions. I want some red macros in my fuge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.