Two new 100 G starfire glassand tank and one 80G tank incomming

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mudbeaver, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow Mud, so glad to see an update! You have been very busy it seems. Everything looks great!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

Refugium Updates

Well asides from the new seahorses i made a getto feeding station for them plus i added a few new Macro's $307 worth of it, not cheap these macro's....

From a simple container with the hamerhead magnet, this thing has to do more than one thing at that price....... so its holding the feeding station.

[​IMG]

This male Hippocampus erectus is waiting his turn has the female is vacuming the inside of the box.

[​IMG]

This set up is perfect; i don't have to stop any pumps and the mysis is trapped inside the box. The waterflow can't blow it away. So the seahorses can eat at leisure all day as they would in nature. Its not terribly groovy looking but it works, so thats good for me.

[​IMG]

This type of box was of ridgid plastic not suited for cutting really so it cracked badly. I'm a bit concern about safety for my horses but they seem vey proficient at grabing things and avoiding injuries.

[​IMG]

As you can see, they're mituculus and deliberate in their search.

[​IMG]

The waiting area a finger gorgonia. Grows fairely quick in the right conditions.

[​IMG]

I had to give him a job he was making me nuts....

[​IMG]

Here we go, told ya, not 5 minutes he's sleeping on the job!!

[​IMG]

Oh here's the other trainee...

[​IMG]

Coming out after 40 minutes

[​IMG]

This guy's trying to get a free meal deal, what a tronc!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new Macro's

[​IMG]

Cymopolia Barbata

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ulva

[​IMG]

Coraline hard

[​IMG]

Gracilaria sp

[​IMG]

Coraline soft

[​IMG]

Dragon's breath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seahorses side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Angler' side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gracilaria parvispora

[​IMG]

Codium, dead man fingers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tufted Joint Algae Cymopolia Barbata

[​IMG]

Eucheuma Spinosum Macro Algae

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ogo Macro Algae (Gracilaria parvispora)

[​IMG]

4. Mudbeaver

Still on the pill

Those who think i've done this all by myself , are wrong, i had lots of help.I wanted to do this the natural way all the way , natural cycle 6 to 8 weeks bla, bla ,blah, but faith interviened and i was forced into a situation where i had to choose between loosing my seeding fuge and my first quarantine fishes or do the artificial insimination of the tank with a product called;
    "Prodibio Start Up" . Which i did on Dec 27 and on dec 28 i was able to put my fishes in the tank. The tank had been seeded and cycled with bacteria and stabilised to receive fish. Of course nothing is that simple. I still have to dose a regime of bacteria for a few months until the system is completely stable. and flourishing on its own. This is what this post is about. No agent can claim to render your tank habitable within 12 hours without a follow up. Which i'm doing right now. The Prodibio is a very efficient merchandise and well thought product from France. http://www.prodibio.com/

After the initial dosage of 30 vials of the Start Up product to cycle the tank i'm following for 6 days with equal amount of Biotim ; which are Nutients for Marine Bacteria, and Biogest ; which are living Marine Bacteria .

Then i let 2 weeks past before dosing 5 vials of each for 3 cycles that means 6 weeks, then i dose the rest 1 vial of each every day , that will bring me to March . So the tank is still under a suppevised cycle regime if you will . With living creatures in it . And doing well i might say.

I just dosed this morning;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hmmm interesting, the volume of water works in your favor as well. Yes your stocked but lightly although you're feeding the sea horses a ton of food.

Looks like the tank is into the Diatom stage now.

This is key "No agent can claim to render your tank habitable within 12 hours without a follow up". Could not have said it better myself.

6. Mudbeaver

Oh i'm well aware that its not a stable system yet , far from it. it will go through all the stages it has to go through regardless. Its like any wine it has to ages with time and that we can't control no matter what lol. The only thing is that this product permits the introduction of living creature during the cycle ,and aging process, which is great to see. So i don't do too much to correct the diatom or blooms that occurs i just lest it go , even the swings in parameters are expected and i don't go blasting chemical to prevent or ajust PH, KH or any others because they fix themselve within a few days, actually i saw that happen. One thing i do play with is my lighting periods and water flow, and skimming.

7. Mudbeaver

8. Click Here!

9. Mudbeaver

Two products

Well i found these 2 products that are specific to macro's , helpfull to corals as well in some fashion but one is design for macroalgae.

This one contains, Manganese, not Magnesium as i had to tell the clerk 25 times and still couldn't spell it....Probably left high school too fast... Manganese for algae ( Mn) on the periodic table a transition metal, Magnesium for corals, (Mg) an Alki earth metal,

[​IMG]

Well my research has brought me to these two components, their were others but over dosing is not a good idea. I've contacted the seller of my macroalgae and they're sending their parameters at which they keep their stocks to help me keep mine. Imagine that having water too clean lol.

And iodine and iodide for your red macroalgaes before they loose their bright red colors.

[​IMG]

10. Mudbeaver

Additional additions

Expensive week , expensive weekend, expensive blue carpet Nem, but what a beauty.

[​IMG]

Just arrived and with a blue light not the best lightin lol.

[​IMG]

More relaxed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the first thing i've learned from an expert on are group ; YOU do not feed that species of nem because you hurt them in fact it the major cause of death for this one.

[​IMG]

Thats the trick, half an hour like this to an hour and they host it no problem

[​IMG]

Some re enforcement in the CUC department he's about to split, do we want to see this.......naaaahhhhh.

[​IMG]

A little nicer to watch

[​IMG]

A nice curtins in my fuge, hoping my supplements will help.

[​IMG]

A few zooz and a gold Hammer, yes i'll move the hammer tonight lol.

[​IMG]

This piece is actually round and will fit nicely on the zooz sculpture, i got 3 of those wierd shape and very unique pieces.

[​IMG]

A great little gadjet; the digital hydrometer is for me much more usefull than a probe. When i buy fish or particularly fragile inverts with very high or low gravity and you don't know it and you just acclimate by estimate, you can shock them and kill them. I found some dealers water to be, 1.021 up to 1.041 , no kidding, so when you do your ordinary acclimatation unaware of these fact , you can easely kill your fragine inverts. Fish being not as fragile but still. So that thing is great.

Very easy to use

[​IMG]

It gives you temp; gravity in 3 different modes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fuge i think is doing better since i add iodine and some supplements, still need another that i've ordered . I think that vendor selling Macro should sell that stuff at the same time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow, you have been busy and the wallet has as well! lol! Everything looks fantastic Mud!

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I don't know where to start. HOLY COW! I was at a LFS that had a blue carpet, so awesome! Looks great!

I dig the different types of macros. I am going to try and find some red macro algae to put into my fuge and maybe some other types as well. I'm inspired!

I always look forward to your updates. Keep em up! haha!

later
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.