Two new 100 G starfire glassand tank and one 80G tank incomming

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mudbeaver, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Looking great MB! I can't wait to see that piece covered in zoas. That will be a showpiece for sure!

2. Click Here!

3. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

Experimental CUC

A few new addition or addiction , i made a little experiment with those guys . How much they eat . So i put 2 piece or squid . The nassarius took those pieces down (the size of their own bodies) in 30 min. So i've add second serving, it took this time an hour with some left over and then the big mama came out with her 5 legs to finish the dish, lol . My 2 urchins went on the algae attach the hace a whole 150g to eat on so big table to clean up. I'm going to get fighting conch from Got fish to help the CUC and a cucumber that will be the basis of the CUC for my 150. i want to rely less on snails for algae . First they venture out of rimless more often and have a shorter life span.

The 3 mousketers on a squid first serving, didn't know at the time it would take a second to fill them up. Those are the Orange Spot Butterscotch Nassarius Snail ; scientific name;
    Babylonia formosae

[​IMG]

Second serving the pig of the litter but ultimatly would relent and leave a piece to the serpent star

[​IMG]

In the other tank these guys were at it while the third was on his way lol, we see here a normal jumbo nassarius.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second serving the pig of the litter but ultimatly would relent and leave a piece to the serpent star

[​IMG]

The Babylonia formosae is about twice as big as the jumbo nassarius and with only 6 they've done my entire sand bed in a 150 G tank. So they work extremely well, they cost a bit more but well worth it. Tiger nassarius or Orange Spot Butterscotch nassarius snails.

[​IMG]

Here are my Tuxedo i have two; A red and a blue, that i've named , Red and Blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is their diet ; amongs herbivore they eat the biggest variety of algae of any species. All my stuff is pretty much cemented and will be . So get going guys, do your stuff.

Derbesia marina
    Derbesia species 2
    Derbesia species 1
    Boodlea species
    Ostreobium species
    Cladophoropsis species 2
    Cladophoropsis species 1
    Chaetomorpha crassa
    Chaetomorpha aerea
    Cladophora rupestris
    Cladophora prolifera
    Cladophora laetevirens
    Chlorodesmis species (Turtle Weed)
    Acetabularia crennulata (Mermaids Cup/Mermaid Wine Glass Alga)
    Valoniopsis pachynema
    Bryopsis species
    Bryopsis plumosa
    Enteromorpha prolifera
    Enteromorpha linza
    Enteromorpha intestinalis
    Enteromorpha compressa
    Ulva rigida (Sea Lettuce)
    Ulva lactuca

4. Mudbeaver

The fish , the cats, the flow

Well i worked for the fish , for the corals and for the cats. It was a mixed bag today. I also measured my water currents and flow.

I colonised my Tonga branches; A bit of GSP on my Tonga branch
    it only needs to grow now, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little bubble coral is in troubled waters, troubled and too strong.

[​IMG]

Ah yes these guys are never too far from the action, Ya try to grab that one buddy lol

[​IMG]

Trying to determine my currents and where it goes, very easy using this method, its as easy as a string on a stick!

[​IMG]

Rotating the stick you get the prevalent currents and altitudes.

[​IMG]

Using a longer ribbon you find out the path of you currents

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this case it met the other current from the other powerhead, turbulence...

[​IMG]

One is being acclimated the other want the ribbon; No need to beg your no getting it.

[​IMG]

Here the two current meet

[​IMG]

The undertow here is the strongest and too strong for my bubble corals, it can't deploy.

[​IMG]

Confirmed with the small closer ribbon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here its the surface flow from the right powerhead that prevails. The ribbon has changed direction.

[​IMG]

YEEEE victory!!

[​IMG]

The new recruit; Diadema setosum (Hatpin Urchin)

[​IMG]

Yes a new observation platform for the kitties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And another one in the window , on top of my desk

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

This tank is really looking awesome :) Good job.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that urchin is huge and very cool looking! need to see a picture with it in the tank.

7. Mudbeaver

Thanks guys, really happy today the skimmer finaly broken in and skimming properly now even if two low, but we may or may not fix the baffle. Its working now. Skimming a fairely dense wet but dense skimate. . The tank is new and almost no bioload. But the cement dust that was everywhere in the condo after my floor prep whent also in the tank. Thats why its so milky looking, yep . Any now as i'm typing the cats are raoming on their new boards,.fhjkgh AND ONE JUST jumped on my desk from the board on top of my desk..... may its wasn't such a good idea......after alll..... Good night.

8. Click Here!

9. Mudbeaver

My old age

This is how i imagine my old age lol

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

LOL

You should have found one with cats as that seems more apropos. Although cats are little parasites that live more than 20 years.

11. Mudbeaver

With all the effort and money i'm spending on theses guys; i better see a red carpet on my way to the hospital !!!

12. Mudbeaver

Fish updates

Yes yes i know qt tanks, well these were from a friend who had them for a while and they were in perfect health. And the seahorses 6" in lenght well a local breather had them ,and in pairs of mates, already heating mysis and brine so how can you let this occasion pass by.

Sorry for the glare i'm still in the market for a lens in particular an orange lens for the blue tank glare.

Best buddies in their tank why not take the two of them right away...

[​IMG]

What i like about these two fish is that they're buddies already , they swim together all the time . I'll find out in time who's the boss i guess

[​IMG]

My schooling chromis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the little red critter on the left side thats the one who poke my horse. i was very surprise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one in the fore front is a male with the smooth curved belly ; its the females who have a , well beer belly, round with a curved up pouch.

[​IMG]

One of my Hammers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frogspawn a rare one i was told.... they're all rare according to them lol.

[​IMG]

The right side of my sculpture will be filled with diffrent Hammers and frogspawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tonga forest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two flying away; When i get that lens it 'll make all the difference that shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those aren't bubbles by the way its pods all over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seen the elegant urchin up there upper left.

[​IMG]

Spike me lol; He's enjoying himseld and with impunity, the fish can't go near this thing now lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats his best side lol

[​IMG]

I'm flying , i'm flying.....he made that turn so quick that was a fluke!

[​IMG]

The entry cave and they come out the other

[​IMG]

And exit from the other

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love when they race and go around the stalactite thats why i made it so the fish can swim around it it validate my efforts, it so just so KOOL!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mister, mister mister mister bubble!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.