Two new 100 G starfire glassand tank and one 80G tank incomming

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mudbeaver, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

In this desing no overflow boxes what do you think the 2" pipes will be at the surface one lower than the other still...

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So ya... I was about to say something.

The new design is better. 18" tanks just don't get it, especially if you want to put sculptures in. I have mixed feelings on closed loops, but I do understand your reason for wanting one.

A Herbie works by having a overflow box to self regulate. Without it, the tank really becomes the overflow box. Using the emergency drain for regulation takes care of that.

HOWEVER... what that means is that you have a hole in the bottom of your tank with nothing stopping it from draining. A closed loop is just that, a closed loop. You are going to have two stand pipes in your tank that will drain it if anything happens. Scary thought. Not saying it's never been done, it's just a little unnerving to "me".

Same thing with the closed loop, but lot's a of folks have them. Anything happens to the piping under the tank, not much you can do.

You can still do external overflow boxes with the drain system you want. Holes in the side of the tank instead of the bottom. Plumbing on the outside.

4. Mudbeaver

Are you familiar with a valve called i think its called a " SAFETY HOUSE VALVE" its a valve that operates only with electricity, if the power shuts off the valve shuts OFF. That would be at the bottom of the herbie apparently. The closed loop is closed with the pump, the water is trapped in the loop within the pump, so no problem anyway. Thats not even an issue. Its totally independant from the system and power off the water stays within the loop and wait for the power to return, no connection to the sump or any other part of the system.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This is the kind of post I want to leave up on my screen at work so people think I know what I'm doing. If I could understand all of this, I'd probably have something productive to add; so - it looks impressive!

6. Mudbeaver

You can always ask a question your welcome to the discussion :)

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I understand what a closed loop is. No need for a solenoid valve, if the power is off, so is the pump. What I am talking about is if you drain stand pipe is compromised, nothing will stop the tank from draining to that point. If the bulkhead develops a leak... nothing you can do about it.

I suppose you could put a solenoid valve at the bottom of the tank, and wire it to a float switch. If the tank level dropped too much, you could close the valve. I'm not saying not to do it... but myself, by design, I like to stay away from holes in the bottom of my tank. That's just me.

8. Click Here!

9. Mudbeaver

Oh thats what its called i heard incorrectly again lol. Its an interesting project for sure. still waitting they're over booked and i'm still far in the line i guess. I hope i gte something soon. kina restless. Only theories and bla, no hard blueprints yet. Thanks for your time.Will keep in touch. :)

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I know how it feels, I really try to understand these posts and I always seem to come up short. Spatial reasoning is not my strong suit among many others :) Thumbs up Mud! It looks impressive! I'm sure the end product will be truly spectacular!

11. Mudbeaver

Ya i'll probably be sleeping underwater by then..lol;D

12. Mudbeaver

Well today we hit the floor literaly hit the floor . The floor capacity was discovered to be 3200lb, we need 4200lb. So we are looking at solutions as we speak. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.