Two Little Fishies Kalkwasser Reactor

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Take a phosban reactor, add a few new parts and you have the new ingenious Two Little Fishies Kalk Reactor 300. A Julian Sprung design that does not require a mixer motor. The water pump is all you need here as the water return has a flexible base that causes the return to gyrate within the reactor - mixing the kalkwasser. Bravo. As if this were not enough, the $60 range price will surely keep these going out the door.

[​IMG]
    TLF Kalkwasser Reactor 300

KW Reactor 300
    Kalkwasser mixer for automatic top-off systems.
    Designed by Julian Sprung, patent pending
    Automatically mixes top-off water with Calcium hydroxide to make "kalkwasser"
    Use with a timer or a level switch and any 1200 L/h (300gph) powerhead pump with 1/2 inch ID hose
    No separate mixing motor! The water feed gently mixes the kalkwasser each time the pump is turned on.
    Includes check valve and connection fittings for 1/2 inch ID hose.

Two Little Fishies - Aquarium Accessories

TLF-KWR300 Premium Aquatics

2. Click Here!

3. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

This I like. I need more pics to completely understand it.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I heard this was coming out soon and ive been waiting patiently on it :) it is genius! i think i will be buying one verrry soon!

5. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

My concern is I have a gravity fed atf via 1/4" tube. Wonder if I can still retro this in?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am wondering about 1/4" tubing as well as I have a Tunze ATO. Maybe with reducers? As for more photos, this is the only one I snapped - but at least it was in focus :) - if you stare at it, you will see how it works...

7. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Nice piece of gear. Matt, do u mind if I sidetrack this thread for a moment...

Will someone please explain the difference between kalkwasser reactor and a calcium reactor, and how they affect water chemistry??

In a reef tank should you run both or just one?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I would run just one, but you could run both.
    calcium reactor dissolves big rocks of argonite with co2, giving you calc, mag and alk.

kalk is powder you mix with water giving you a large amount of calcium and high ph.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I go slightly less numbers on my 36 gallon open-top. I have a Tunze kalk reactor hooked to a Tunze ATO. The reactor does not have a mixer and the kalk cakes within a few days if I don't shake it occasionally. That said, it does a good job of keeping pH around 8.2 - 8.4. It does not go higher than that. For me, possibly you depending on your tank size, I think this new kalk reactor would work well on an ATO.

The thing I need to figure out is how to reduce pipe sizes to fix my pump. I think I saw reducers on the Two Little Fishies site - need to look at that again.

matt

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

just a quick side note here (kinda off topic but still relative)... if the pH of your tank becomes too high... above 8.4-8.5 (from kalk overdose) it will spontaneously force the Ca (which will also be high at this point) to precipitate out with the carbonate. the precipitation reaction serves two purposes; 1. reduces the pH to the buffered level of 8.2 and 2. lowers your Ca back to normal. Therefore, overdose is not a problem other than the "wasted" calcium and carbonate (which then binds to your sand once settled and actually make it blow around less in high flow... kinda still a plus in my eyes)

There are no harmful effects from this reaction other than the pH going to 8.5, which really wont harm anything in this short period of time.

12. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

A reactor with CC maintains the big 3? That is great news to me.