Two 14,000K Bulbs for SPS?? Enough light?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by HollyG, Mar 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I like the more blueish coloration to reef tanks, brings out the flourescents nice too... I only have a 2 bulb 20" T5 fixture over my 10gallon reef and I want the tank to look more blue than what a 10,000K and actinic can give me. Would two 14,000K bulbs be enough for sps? I don't think just a single 14,000K and an actinic would be enough for my sps... so I was thinking two 14,000K? You think my sps will be fine under these bulbs and I will get some growth and better coloring?

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I'd go with 2 ATI coral plus. Check out 2in10's thread for the color look. They are nifty, and in a 10g it should work out with the perfect balance of color and par!

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Cannot be had in her 20 inch requirement. Must be 24" or bigger, same exact thing I said too Alex. LOL

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Oh lame!!!! thats a bummer! Holly go get a 20g long and transfer it over so you can run ATI coral plus 24" bulbs. It will look great and give you more room for those sps.

6. HollyG

Yea... I did a whole lotta lookin around and they don't make 14,000K in the size bulbs I need :'( The highest bulb I found is 12,000K in the 16.5" bulbs I need by true lumen. I really love having it a 10gal though! I would have to buy a whole new tank AND a new fixure... my husband would friggin kill me! We are kinda of on a budget, plus the next fixture I get will be LEDs, not another T5 fixture... so I would rather stay with the fixture I got and try and figure it out than spend more money. You think the 12,000K bulbs would be kindda close to the 14,000K bulbs?

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The 12,000K will be more white than you see in a 14,000K bulb. But it will still have a hint of blue. I think it will look much better than the 10,000K you have now.

8. Click Here!

9. HollyG

OK. I am on a website right now and just about to click order lol... you think two 12,000K bulbs will be enough go grow the SPS? Will they have more light with the two 12,000K than they do with the single 10,000K and actinic? I really wanna make sure I don't end up killing the sps because I didn't give them enough light lol.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

lol. Yes, it will be enough light. You are simply changing the color temperature. White light = better growth, blue light = better color. So you will have the best of both worlds.