turbo snails

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Notturnia, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

:p

1 hours and half and light will be off so i will do another test
    also moved 1 snail on the tank with neon and no MH to check..

will also move one in the fugium when lights are on..
    so will try to understand..

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well, I'm glad to hear that you found the cause of your stray voltage without too much trouble!

4. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

well.. find out.. wont mean .. solve.. how do i remove it now ?.. if it's induced i cant remove it.. if not.. how can a plafo make a stray current w/o touching the water ?..

so.. a trouble.. if it's the plafo (and will have the second test when i can unplug the wire..) how to solve ?....

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

electricity takes the path of least resistance, if the lights were not in contact with the aquarium whatsoever, then it traveled through your breaker box and out the tank. if your refugium lights are in contact that will also produce the same effect. 3 prong requires a ground so if your lighting system doesnt have a 3 prong, put one on. without looking at the system and based off of past experience, so take this to the bank and screw things up, but, black is power, green is ground, white is return. in the breaker box the ground and white should be on different terminals even though both are ground. your overseas so i dont know if its wired different, but thats basically the way it is here.

run the system without any lights at all, and check.

6. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

we have different CEI order here.. so we have green/yellow as ground blu as neutral and brown as phase .. now we are moving to no more brown as phase but black as phase and blu as neutral (i work in the electricity ground :D)

well w/o lights on the voltage in the tank is down to 4v and plafo (obviously) drop to 0.005 volts (the ACLS wont turn off the tension due to the display.. but then i know it it it..) the plafo of the fugium do the same as the plafo in the main display..

i will ground them togheter and will make a different ground as the other pumps to try to avoid troubles.. they already have 2 different boxes and lines to try to keep perturbance (hope it's the right word) far enough to be not relevant.. but seems something is missed..
    probably the salt is making a bridge somewhere ...

but still thinking about a live-thing inside the tank should not have trouble with stray current as they are protected from the water like in a faraday cage..

... you wont be killed while in water if a thunder fall down 2 miles from you... or if you are in a boat... etc...

but ...

7. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

I would also test for copper. I had a mayor die off of snails when a "friend" dropped a couple copper coins in my tank. Good Luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

could be, good catch

11. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

cant win.. sob..to me seems there is nothing.. but the meter is telling me there is something..
    seems i wont have snails in my tank.. i will buy a copper test when i will have some time.. but i dont thing there is copper as in the last month i did 4 20% water changes to remove silicates.. and i should have a perfect water as test is telling me.. unless there is a leak.. that i didnt find in any pump.. next tank need a different project to avoid this kind of trouble.. damn..

1 person likes this.
  12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:( Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get it figured out soon. Keep us updated on your progress!