turbo snails pissing me off

Discussion in 'Algae' started by BlackJack, May 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I quit using turbos cause I got sick of them bulldozing my corals and knocking stuff off never had issues with them eating coraline but it honestly doesnt surprise me

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

he doesnt have normals turbos, they wont eat coraline i guarantee it, they cant digest it thats why there reefsafe.

ive had the zebra turbos like his before i never noticed them eating it but i had plenty, but im pretty sure they cant eat it either. its probably just bleaching from the change of environment and his tank generally not being very conducsive to its growth(most tanks arent until they age), coraline doesnt like phosphates or nitrates.

4. cumparijoe

cumparijoe Plankton

oh ok ok..na that exactly what the guy at the shop said, they are reefsafe and they cant eat your coraline. but im still curious if i have too many in my tank for its size? what do you think?

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

If the rock is fairly new--The coraline is old and been through transit etc.. It is probably dying off and the snails are the last straw--keep your params correct and it will return. It took a good 6 mo to establish good healthy coraline on the rocks--you will see.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

the good news is that turbo snails despite what the name implies are not very quick
    even this 44 year old bloke has no issues catching them if they cause any bother in my tank

Steve

7. 1RESTLESSNATIVE

1RESTLESSNATIVE Astrea Snail

I beg to differ on the mexicans not eating coraline. I watched them eat it off the glass, eating large patches voraciously with their little scraping mouths. I bought 5 to help with hair algae and all they ate was the coraline. They didnt tough the hair and pretty much ate most of the coraline before I actually witnessed them eating it off the glass. The only places it remained was where they couldnt get to. Perhaps I did not get mexicans but I am pretty sure I did.?

8. Click Here!

9. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I have a bunch of turbos, zebra,margarita, and a few other sand bearing snails and they havent touched my coraline. Maybe the rock wasnt covered in coraline at all. Maybe it was just stained or crusted cyano algae. I have mistaken small spots of dying cyano for coraline before. I am not implying you can't tell the difference. It just looks like from the picture that the purples you speak of are a little dark to be coraline. But again it could just be the low picture quality that gives it color.

10. cominatyalive

cominatyalive Plankton

Turbos eating coraline

Actually, Turbo Snails do eat coraline just like the other guy told ya.
    Happened to me as soon as I bought two huge pieces of live rock loaded with coraline. Turbos got onto it and left white trails behind them on my rock everywhere they went. It is not die off. All the other pieces I have did not turn white. The same rocks that they ate my coraline from still had coraline everywhere the turbos did not walk on. I bought two Turbos for my 55 gallon reef, I had a massive green hair algae problem from too much light. Well, the green was all gone in a week from just two Turbos. Now I am thinking of getting rid of them. Knocking rocks & corals down everytime I turn around. Getting on my Mushroom rock, etc.... I'm going to get smaller, better snails such as the Astreas. Going to get rid of my hermit crab as well. Same deal with him, walks over everything, and will not eat the ditrius like he's supposed to from being too spoiled on the food I add to my reef. That's the so called anything of value you spoke of I suppose. Sorry, but you should make sure you are 100% politically correct before giving out advice.

11. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

cominatyalive-- you do know that quote your replying to was posted almost 3yrs. Ago right?! LOL!