Tunze Turbelle Pump and Controller

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thought I'd share my latest toy - the Tunze Turbelle 7200 powerhead and 7091 controller.  8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is no ordinary powerhead. It's big and really puts out. I got the smallest turbelle model and it still puts out 635 gph.  :eek:

What's interesting is the bigger models are actually the same pump, but the transformer is different so it uses more watts to get more gph. The biggest one, the 7400 I think, puts out over 1000 gph.

Last night I had to do what anyone who has Tunze products has to do - figure out how to mount this thing on an american tank. They are designed for Euro tanks without molding on the top of the tank. Luckily this wasn't too bad as I figured out the MaxiJet 1200 suction cup bracket fit in the rail and I could hold it there with a plastic Tunze bolt and nut. (Tunze now makes magnetic holders that work similar to magnetic glass cleaners - one piece hooks up to the pump, the other goes on the outside of the tank. These are Godsend for us in the USA and as a result the first batch blew off the shelf and now I and many others are on a waiting list.)

THe hard part ended up being how to replace the massive intake strainer with a smaller one. (Tunze does make a smaller one, but I didn't feel like waiting for delivery.)

I ended up taking a hacksaw to an intake tube off a spare TetraTec 150 filter. This actually fit flush in the Tunze coupling.

WIth that, I just hooked it up.

Holy smokes!  :eek: I immediately had to turn it down. I am nuts and put this thing on a 20 long. heh. I am probably using a 1/4 of full power now at max setting.

My motivation was my grumpy hammer coral which convinced me I needed more circulation. Between lack there of and my new huge turbo snail that kept knocking him over, he's never looked worse for wear. It's been a half hour now and the hammer is seriously digging the pulses this thing puts out. I think I might have saved him. Now I just have to putty him to the rock so the turbo doesn't bother him anymore.

Anyway back to the pulses, this thing is neat with the optional controller. I can set min and max setting and it has a feed button to turn it off for 5 minutes during feeding. I also got the optional photocell which will mellow it out to 50% at night.

THe photocell is key for me because I think my fish will need a rest! Plus it has added a bit of a 'washing machine' noise to the tank. It's not really loud but noticable. The instructions do say it needs a week to break in and it should be much quiter. So I will be patient.

Other than that, my only other gripe would be the max duration between min and max setting could be longer in my opinion. It's a little less than 10 seconds. If it was 30 seconds I'd be psyched.

I am impressed with the craftsmanship although not surprised - it's Tunze - (that's why it costs so much - $200 for the pump and $55 for the controller and $15 for the photocell.) It easily comes apart for cleaning and the instructions are actually very thorough with regards to disassembly and cleaning. Actually these are the best instructions I've had from Tunze compared to the Osmomot ones.

This thing rocks and the 7200 model would easily work on up to a 75 gallon or any 4 foot tank.

If a Tunze Stream pump is too much for your tank, consider the Turbelle.  :)

matt

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

On my Christmas list!!!
    We were going to put 2 in my 58 gallon, with the multicontroller....does that make me nuts too?!

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Very cool Matt, You Can't Beat Tunze for the Best. As you Said you pay to play.
    I've only seen the Streams up here in Canada but have in the past enquired about the Turbelle units as the Streams at too stronger for a 75G. That is already established.

Is there anyway we could get an in tank pick of the PH?

J

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

In tank, sure.. later today probably I'll bust one out.

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Product;num=1103403986;start=0#1 date=12/18/04 at 17:10:58]On my Christmas list!!!  
    We were going to put 2 in my 58 gallon, with the multicontroller....does that make me nuts too?![/quote]

Yes! :) But not as nuts as me. ;D

Forgot too mention this puts out 633 gph on 13 watts!
    Also has an audible alarm if the pump jams or overheats.

I am struggling with the mount I rigged. If it's not just right, it does vibrate when the pump goes from high to low. Look forward to the magnet holder.

Circulation is killer though, is rearranging my sand bed a bit.

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Wow that is a turn over rate of almost 32 times a hour in a 20 gallon tank with just that one power head your fish must be swimming for there life LOL [smiley=hehe.gif]

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Rock on Matt! That is sweet! 32 times turnover ...heeheehee ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You guys are forgetting I have this thing on at about 30% full power.
    There is an electronic driver attached where I can adjust the watts, I turned it to about 50 percent full power and I am playing with the min, max dials on the controller at the moment.

I currently have the min at about 30 % and the max at 50%. I've found there is a point where if I turn the min dial too low, the pump vibrates more, so I keep it above that.

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I'll be glad when I get the controller for my Streams 6000. I can only leave one on at a time and that is with it turned down all of the way.

Its just wierd the way Tunze makes these. YOu have the ph, the square box and the round thing. Ya'll know what I'm talking about. The names just don't come to me at the moment. Ahhh, one is the transformer and the other is ???something else. Ya'll help me out here! I have two of these PH. Where do you put all of these excess boxes and round things and then when I get the controller that will be one more thing to hide. How creative have ya'll been in hidding this stuff? Looking for some ideas here.

I do have the magnet mounts they are nice however you are limited on how far you can rotate them which is not much. I think about 30 degrees.Where do ya'll have yours mounted. I have one in the back right hand corner pointing somewhat to the front center of the tank and the other one on the left side of the tank next to the overflow. It blows across the length of the tank. I wish I could turn it so it would hit the front glass. It makes my clam , and softies, and LPS pretty unhappy when Ihave them both going. So for now I just run one at a time.

Cindy

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Mine is in the back corner too, facing toward the front glass in the middle.

[quote author=beamer link=board=Product;num=1103403986;start=0#7 date=01/02/05 at 16:37:39]Its just wierd the way Tunze makes these. YOu have the ph, the square box and the round thing. Ya'll know what I'm talking about. The names just don't come to me at the moment. Ahhh, one is the transformer and the other is ???something else. Ya'll help me out here! [/quote]

That is too funny! ;D I thought the same thing. I think the other is the 'electronic driver.' ::)

I hide all that in my stand.

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

There's already so much in my stand I hope I have room for them. That's four of those things to hide where they won't get wet. Do you have one or two?

Cindy