Tube Replacement Time

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Waggs, Jan 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Waggs

Waggs Plankton

Ok, I need your help in a desperate way. I have the following light fixture: 48" 324W T5 HO Aquarium Light Hood 6x54 Fluorescent Actinic Lamp LCD Timer Coral | eBay and it's time to replace the tubes. I am in the process of building back up my reef tank and the tubes that came with it got me by until now.

I have a 92 gallon bow front tank that is 48" long and 24" deep, without the sand and is 21" deep with the sand. I'll be re-aquascaping the rock work so I can have all levels for corals to go. So what's your best suggestion for all tube replacement?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

2in10 is the man to ask, hopefully he will chime in. If you have corals in the aquarium make sure you acclimate them to the new lamps.

4. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

5. Waggs

Waggs Plankton

I'd like to know what is recommended and how they are placed in the fixture. I had a mild stroke and to look at charts, well, I get confused there. Oh, I should tell you I'm rebuilding my coral stock from next to nothing. So they won't need to be acclimated. Thanks.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

1:1 ratio of ATI Blue+ and Coral Plus is what 2in10 typically recommends.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yup, but since you have 6 bulbs I suggest 2 each of the Coral Plus, Blue Plus and Actinic to keep your PAR down. This should give you great colors and growth. I feel 4 bulbs is more than sufficient for your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Waggs

Waggs Plankton

So I would want to get 2 each of the 54W Coral Plus T5 HO Fluorescent, 2 each of the 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent and 2 each 54W True Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent? I'm looking at the web site above with the flourescent lighting.

How would you place them in the fixture?

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is what I would get.

Front to back
    Blue Plus
    Coral Plus
    Actinic
    BP
    CP
    Actinic

11. Waggs

Waggs Plankton

Thanks all for you help. Where can I get the light tubes for the best price? This fixed income stuff is for the birds. LOL

12. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I would personally change out a coral plus for a purple plus. I think the coral plus is too white (but I like a more blue look).. And I get my bulbs from aqua cave they have cheap shipping