Trying to raise Calcium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by quinstar, Apr 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

I've been running my tank with just fish and a few soft corals. I want to start getting some LPS and additional corals but my calcium level is way low. I've been adding Coral Vital Reef Energizer to try and get it up where is should be for coral, but it seems to have gotten stuck around 280. I also did a 15% water change and it didn't seem to help at all.

CA 280
    dKH 10
    Phosphate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    SG 1.0215
    PH 8.4

I know that it could be tied to my Mag levels, but my test won't get here for a few days still. Any ideas on what else to try?

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Your salinity is quite low.

You want it to be more like 1.025-1.026 for coral-bearing tanks.

Next you NEED to test your mag.

You can add a dumptruck load of calcium in your tank, but if the Mag is not at the right concentration, the calcium will just fall out of the water. Your mag should be above 1400. This must be tested for. There are no shortcuts around it.

Also, good quality salt makes a big difference and it's important to either use multiple hydrometers or one quality refractometer to measure the Specific Gravity before water changes and after changing DT water.

4. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

The salt I've been using is instant ocean. I'll slowly start increasing the salinity with the next water change. Hopefully the mag test kit will be here tomorrow.

Thanks!

5. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

I'm also using a hydrometer for the reading. Would you suggest multiple of the same kind, or picking up a brand different from what I currently use?

Also, what is the safest way to raise my SG? Can I add too it daily or would that be too much?

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Yup - just bringing your salinity up should increase your calcium slightly.

Also, after this batch of what I am going to assume is regular IO salt - try IO Reef Crystals if you are going to keep coral. Much better calcium, mag, and dKh values IMO.

7. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I would definitely recommend you use reef crystals by IO or red sea coral pro salt. In my experience, these do the best job of maintaining proper levels of what we want. Regular Water changes alone will supply what you need for quite a while with these salts

8. Click Here!

9. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I recommend salinity from sheam it is in the aqua vitro line. Best salt I have used hands down and the mix really mixes the amount stated to 35% so you will save money in the long run! Just a FYI io reef crystals 50 gallon bag only mixes 34 gallons :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

If the IO you are referring to is in the orange bag then that's what I've been using. Though it seems I was not making the sg high enough. Honestly I never monitored the CA levels closely since I only really had fish in the tank. It was probably depleted from the coraline in the tank. Could I simply add some salt into the sump to increase the SG or should I stick to only trying to raise it through pwc? I'm a big fan of my fish so I don't want to stress them out too much, but I want to fix my water problems as quickly as possible while still playing it safe. Thanks for all your help.

According to tracking my mag test should be here tomorrow as well.

11. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

OK. Just tested my mag and it's reading at 1230. I'm going to run to the LFS and pick up some magnesium. Any suggestions on what to get?

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would say you will be fine with whatever brand you get from the LFS. I would suggest getting dry though. You will not be paying for water that way.

Just make your SG higher in your WC mix. Just mix to a SG of 1.027 or 1.028 until you get to 1.025 of 1.026 in your tank. I also suggest getting a refractometer, they are far more acurate and less likely to drift in their measurements.