Trying to kick the ICK

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by 10acrewoods, Dec 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Soak his food in vitiman C. This will boost the fish's immune system and he will fight off the parasite on his own. You need to try and reduce the stress level of the fish. Pristine water really helps the fish stay healthy.

How long has this tank been running?

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Thanks for all the help so far eveyone. But I am going to try to do things natural. Please if you are listing a med please include what it does to the rest of the tank i.e. does it raise or lower parameters and you have to do alot of water changes to rid medication. Over the past couple of years I have tried verious meds and additives and noticed with an except few that staying natural is the best solution. I am afraid to use copper meds because they say it can stay if fishes system and malichite threw my nitrate off. So untill I get my paramiters back into order I don't think I will be trying any types of meds.

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Where do you get vitiman c in a soaking formula what do you use. Tank has been up since oct. But alot of water and rocks came from my 36 that has been runing for 2 years.

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I will have to check to see what I bought this last time when I get to the house. If you need an answer sooner you could PM Otty, he turned me on to what I'm using.

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I can wait.

8. Click Here!

9. Snowby

Snowby Astrea Snail

Sorry to hear about the ich. Seems to put stress on us too. I recently treated 2 sick clowns back from ich with the following. I increased my temp to 84 F. Yes it scared me too. I slowly lowered the salinity to about 1.017. Did a few water changes to keep params in check. I also used a food additive called Selcon. Sometimes hard to find and a little expensive. For me, well worth it. Both fish are now doing great. One even had most of his tail eaten off and it has fully grown back. The whole idea with ich is that you have to stop its cycle. By increasing the temp. you actually speed it up. Ich needs a host to survive, so by getting the fish healthy, doing the things listed above you should be able to end the cycle. I found a great site with the description of the cycle and I will try to post if I can find it again.

I enjoy seeing enthusiasts trying to take the natural approach, instead of the manic one most of us use. Good luck to you.. keep us up to date.

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I have seen this selcon in lfs and was wondering how it worked thanks. Any yes I hate it when my fish are sick.

11. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I had my wife check when she was home for lunch and the stuff I use is called Kent Marine C. Follow the directions for amount needed but the general idea is to marinate the food in it. You can add it directly to the water but the fish will get it in their system better if they ingest it. Saok the food for about 30 minutes and feed. I do this about twice per week whether the fish are sick or not.

12. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I say do what Snowby and I suggeted, raise the temp! I'm not sure if it speeds up the cycle like Snowby said, I was under the impression that the temperature makes it so the parasites have a hard time or cannot host the fish. It works!

raise temp
    do water changes
    keep water good
    feed fish good stuff
    fish = happy