trying to get rid of xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by yellowviper, Nov 28, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmmm...really no one wants it? i usually see it selling at around $30 at the stores....how are you trying to sell it? dont say like, "this stuff grows like a weed, want some?"

2. Click Here!

3. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Bruce, If you want some you are more than welcome to pay shipping and it is yours free! Then you can try to pawn it off to your LFS-mine will not take it in on trade-they do not want it. Shoot me a PM you can have as many stalks as you want;free! I have also tried to give it away at our local club with little success. Every time I have to trim I post "free xenia" and maybe one person will reply and the chance of them showing up is about 1 in 10 so I flush it, but I usually post first. The crazy glue seems to work best for me as far as keeping it contained. If it had a $value I would frag it-but it takes over. jmho

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm interesting...i wonder why no one wants it...at the moment i really dont have room in the tank...try ebay!

5. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Wow down here in San Diego it would be gone like Wild fire. You could also try to give it away on reef Central.

6. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

what kind is it ? is it pulsing? if so i will buy a nice size frag instead of you killing it! i will pay for shipping as well!!

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Man, if it's pulsing, I know a LFS down here that sells it for $30 a head. You can make some cash. There must be someone that wants it. If it's not pulsating, I dont think you'll succeed in selling it, nobody wants that species of Xenia, some actually see it as a pest.

8. Click Here!

9. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

it is white pulsating pompom xenia. If someone wants to pm me for free stalks; you can and pay for shipping. Please be advised that xenia is a horrible shipper and might not make it. That is why on Ebay most sellers have pickup only and if you also look you can get massive pieces for little to no money and no one is bidding on them. So if your are looking for some maybe keep an eye on ebay for an auction in your area.
    The best way to get rid of it is, in my oponion, to smother the freshly cut stalk's skin in super glue. Then you can do whatever you want with the cut stalk give it away, throw it away or try to sell it-good luck

10. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

i just bought a frag of pulsing xenia and a day after it seems to be slumped over and rarely pulsates...what could be affecting it???

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I wish I had your problem! I have purchased it a few times and it always died. I know that they don't tollerate high temperatures and also need to have high levels of iodine(lugols). I just can't keep it alive...Maybe very fast current. I'm actually going to my pet shop tonite to try to purchase some more xenia... I would assume paste of kalk will work. I know it works very well on aptasia anemones.
    Also, as others have mentioned scrape it off and bring to your pet shop. They will probably buy it from you or give you store credit as most pet shops have a hard time getting it as it doen't ship well.
    tom
    p.s sent me some!!!!!!