Trying to get coraline algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Funkify360, Mar 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

From all the comments on this thread, I'm suspecting that the difference between a mature tank and a mature tank with coraline algae is 1) the addition of iodine, "purple up" or the like and 2) minimum quantities of cyanobacteria, green hair and other nuisance algae.
    Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Coraline Algae is like water. If you wait and watch for it to boil it never will. Dont try to get coraline algae, it will come to you when its ready :)

4. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

wow...this is a really hot topic.

Question:
    Is there soft & hard coraline just like soft & hard corals?

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I dont add iodine or iodide and corraline grows on my rocks and in the higher water flow areas. I have to chip it out of the vents on my pump that supplies water to my skimmer.

Jim

1 person likes this.
  6. Ruth

Ruth Plankton

Good water quality, maintain your calcium at 400>, alk. 8-10, mag. 1350-1400 and make sure you have a peice of live rock that already has coralline on it. VHO actinic bulbs also seem to make it grow faster as coralline does not seem to like high lighting. I know I have had it turn white and disappear when I went from 20K bulbs to 14K. It comes back though.

1 person likes this.
  7. 3D-Reef

3D-Reef Plankton

Good water quality(Ca,Mag,Alk) with high water flow is essential for coraline algae.
    A high phosphate reading can inhibbit it's growth.That's why it doesn't grow with hairalgae/cyano present.

What works for Me when My coraline turns white is,giving a dose of Fe(iron).Which doesn't stay in saltwater very long,and is in short supply.

Coraline,I don't believe,comes in a soft version.However it does come in a plating or incrusting form.Colors include;purple,pink,blood red,green,and a brownish-orange.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I believe it is growing on my turbo snails. Their shells have a red substance on them. Anyone else have this in their tank?

10. jasond56

jasond56 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I dunno - I used PurpleUp with no success :( My parameters are okay, I'm wondering if it was my lighting...too intense (See my signature) although some in this post suggest intense lighting, others low lighting. Thoughts?

11. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

your lighting is like mid-high

12. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

I use purple up, 2ml every other day to my 40 gall of water in my system. I only use it because it contains mag. After it's all gone I'll just be dosing two part and a mag supplement. I have noticed faster coraline spread while dosing the purple up. Some people think it's worthless but I think it's effects are dependent on each system.