Try this for your over-flow ( Quiet ) :~)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by fletch, May 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Can the original PreFilter be used with this design?

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I was going to make one of these, but had another idea one night. I took a PVC T fitting and slipped the vertical 'leg' into the drain pipe. Then, I ran a piece of standard air line down one side and into the pipe. Result...intake from 2 sides completely under water and quiet as can be.

Just another idea if you don't feel like getting fancy! ;D

4. Midnight_Madman

Sounds fast and simple! Can you post a picture?

5. GraviT

Here ya go, pics aren't that great, but it isn't easy to get behind there to take them! ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Midnight_Madman

COOL! Hard to beleive it works! But I will try it! The only thing I am worried about it a pre-filter? I think I need one because my only mechanical filtration is a pre-filter, and 2"x 10x spong that water must pass trough after my fuge.

7. GraviT

My prefilter is a piece of bonded filter pad down in the sump, on top of the 'trickle tray' (in what was a wet/dry filter). There are a lot of people who don't use sponges because if they aren't cleaned on a regular basis they become a nitrate factory.

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

I try to clean mine once a week, but sometimes I forget. So some don't use any form of mechanical filtration?

10. GraviT

I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't use any type of mechanical filtration, most have at least a protein skimmer. The important thing to remember is no matter what you rely on, keeping it clean is paramount to water health.

If you don't have a place to put some pre-filter padding in your sump, you may want to consider a 'bubble sock'. This is a fine micron bag of sorts that the water passes through after leaving the overflow.

If you look at the picture below (under the blue water jug), there is a piece of white polyfilter. Thats how I do it.

[​IMG]

11. Midnight_Madman

Very nice. Whats the blue jug? A top off? is it heated or does only adding tiny amounts at a time not need heat?

12. Midnight_Madman

A quick question about my skimmer box. Its been in operation for about a year, and I havent cleaned it because it is sort of acting as a mini fuge with the lights hitting it. It has all sorts of growths inside and its coverd in a red algea and it also has some spots of coraline algea on it. Should I leave it alone, or is it doing some harm not being cleaned for a year?