trumpet dying

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by spardoin, Dec 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spardoin

spardoin Astrea Snail

I purchased a trumpet the other day from LFS. It has three separate trumpets that come off of a single stem. They are fairly separated from each other. last week I changed my water and the next day one of the trumpets was dead. I thought this may be due to changes in water temperature or something to that nature. Today, a second one is beginning to turn white in locations. Any suggestions? Can I save the dying one, how about the third that does not look great but none of it has turned white as of yet?

2. Click Here!

3. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Really hard to say. We need to know a few things about your system. Size, lighting, age, temp, salinity, alk, calcium, mag, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Pics would help too.

4. spardoin

spardoin Astrea Snail

more info and picture

oceanic biocube 14 gallon with
    -one 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue Straight Pin
    - one 24 watt 10000K daylight straight pin
    - 2 .75 Watt Lunar Blue Moon Glow LED
    Pump flow rate 137 gph
    salinity 1.024.
    Unfortunately I do not have a testing kit yet, so I can't give you the other info.

Looking at the picture the lowest trumpet is dead, the one just above it to the right seems to be dying and the one in the back has always been smaller but seems okay.

Attached Files:

5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Without test numbers my best advice would be to place the trumpet in an iodine dip and maybe do a water change just in case your parameters are out of whack.

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

How old is the tank? Is it done cycling?? Without a test kit who knows. It really should be one of the first things you get.

7. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

How did you acclimate the new coral to the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What did the polyps look like at the LFS? Were they fully expanded or did you notice any damage there? Did you ever see any parts of the skeleton showing through when you first put it in the tank? As already indicated, a test kit is very, very important as you really need to know what is going on in your tank before you add things. I received a trumpet about a week ago that had a polyp torn in two spots. It has healed up completely now but if you have ammonia or nitrite/nitrate in your water it likely will be stressed further and die instead.