True P. spawning round II

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Swisswiss, Sep 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

thx C :p, ill try. yea im thinking maybe one stick is more than enough, ill dig a little deeper...

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

eggs today, 05.10.13

as you may know i was thinking of moving them tonight but im thinking they might need another day...

what do you folks think?

Attached Files:

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

sooo cool Swiss! I'm sorry I don't know enough to help on the question.

5. Swisswiss

thx oldfishkeeper, the little eyes are neat huh? they didnt hatch last night and im thinking maybe leave em in today still, but they are literally only a couple days away from hatching i think.

6. rross82

rross82 Astrea Snail

that's so cool, hoping all goes well for you. What do you plan to do with them once they hatch? Are you planning on keeping the juvies in your reef when they are old enough?

7. Swisswiss

i have an old 40 gallon tank just sitting in my room, it was taken down and upgraded to my current system. the churring dragon that was my old skimmer was the reason the upgrade is now in the living room, otherwise no sleep...and i love my sleep....

so yeah i was thinking of setting it up again as a fowlr/grow out tank, i would only keep perculas in there, perhaps this batch if im able to save some, ill keep them. future ones ill have to see if i can sell them to my LFS. they sell true percula for about 60 euros (80 bucks) a fish. if i can sell them at 10-20 euros a fish il be more than happy and perhaps with a little luck this hobby might just turn into a self paying one which my wallet would be most pleased to hear.

oh and i transferred the eggs last night and this morning im seeing two little buggers swimming around, iv been harvesting rotifers and placing them in the nursery already a couple days prior to the egg transfer, they seem to be darting in random direction a good sign that they are eating (or so i hope).

but yeah the hard part starts now..... at the end of the week who ever pulled through will be fed nuphili AND rotifers.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

UPDATE: day 3 no survivors, the remaining eggs turned white and i cant see any little guy swimming around :(. wasnt expecting a high survival rate but not a single one is a little harsh. im not giving up though i know i can do this...

im going to write a list of variables that i think may have contributed the the younglings demise and hopefully you guys can share your thoughts and experiences with me so as i can be better prepared next time.

right...

1) the fish were transferred as opposed to letting them hatch in the DT and "fishing" them out. thought i had timed it right (night of the 8th day) seeing as not all the eggs hatched but at one point i saw about 2 or 3 little larvas swimming around. however the majority of the eggs did not hatch. i blame poor oxygenation for this...

edit: the eggs never came in contact with air during the transfer.

in future i will try the "fishing method" this will insure the eggs are well oxygenated and taken care of by the parents till hatching.

2) i saw a couple dead larva on the surface, i later read that if the air stone is pumping air out to vigorously it may "trap" the little larva in the air bubbles or suck them to the air stone.

if i fish the little guys out next time ill set the air stone to emit a slow small flow of bubbles (still right under the heater to dissipate heat)

3)water. the nursery water was set up a couple days prior to the egg transfer using 5 gallons directly from the DT or parent tank, could it have gone "bad" over these couple of days? there already was a thermometer and airstone running in the nursery to keep temperature the same and oxygen levels more or less the same.

4) over feeding? at the same time i set up the nursery water i placed some rotifers in there as well with a little green water, this was to insure the larva had food right at birth, though apparently in case of emergency they can survive on their embryonic sack. the salinity difference between my rotifer culture and the nursery is 5ppm so i dont think the rotifers instantly died due to osmotic shock. but perhaps something else could have fouled the water? ill test the nursery water today but with the dead larva im thinking it will influence the result. (the live rock with the eggs has been put back in the DT....heart breaking to see the male recognise the rock and try to oxygenate the white dead eggs :'(... really makes me feel like a turd)

5) the vessel the eggs were on, im thinking perhaps some predator or some other organism may have hindered the eggs or larva present on the live rock? several ASTERINA were around and on top of the eggs even in the DT while the clowns were taking care of them but i think the ASTERINAS were just "cleaning up".

now for positive observations.....

there is really just one :s.......

while still alive the little larva seemed to be swimming correctly, they were readily attracted to light and did not "stand on their head" or swim in circles at the bottom of the tank.

anyway i got my hands on a digital copy of clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson, and it seems indeed to be the base of a good read, iv already learnt a couple new things i did not know (im at the anemone section).

looking forward to the input of this community, thank you all in advance

jeff

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well Jeff, this all sounds routine to me. It's realistic to not be able to keep the fry alive and loose all during your first attempts. Kind of like picking up the guitar and play Stairway to Heaven if you have never played the guitar before, it takes practice.

I was looking at Pickle's thread and reading my copy of Joyce's book (it's a signed copy) using DT water is fine.

Congratulations is in order, you're far more prepared then you were, success is right around the corner.

11. Swisswiss

yeah reading a little more of the book it seems i have instinctively made both some good and bad calls :s.

anyway here is anew question for y'all...

is this the famous tube near the females anal fin?......new eggs ahoy?

P.S good call on stairway to heaven though im more of dire straits fan :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

"ovipositor, extended in front of the females anal fin." per Joyce Wilkerson. She really does not look tubby enough yet, but you should probably know her per spawning look much better by now.

And Grateful Dead. :p