True or False?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Stingray, Feb 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I have seen multiple times, people recommend not to keep leather corals with corals like elegance, is this true and if so why?

Luckily i just got rid of my leathers due to outgrowing the tank and replaced them with a lovely 3" elegance;D

Cheers.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I'm not exactly sure, but my guess would be that there is an issue with so called chemical warfare. Leathers and other soft corals can release toxins that will harm other corals, such as lps.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I see, thank you...

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

i have a toadstool and xenians in tank with a elegant and a hammer if that helps

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes, as guitarman stated, however, I believe it depends also on tank size and placement. If someone has a tank of say 220 gal. the chemical warfare aspect may be diminished as compared to my 55 gal.

I, as many here know, have a primarily soft coral tank and it is a challenge. I do keep 2 LPS in there, a Frog Spawn and Torch which are thriving. I use a lot of flow, carbon, Pura Filter pad and aggressive skimming.