Trouble choosing a return pump.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Magnus, Feb 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

"I didn't think about this. A "Y" instead of a "T" would accomplish the same function, only I would have the fuge drain falling diagonally, and then the elbow to extend downwards, then the U to bring the flow back through the macro, etc. I've been also thinking about the elbow at the end of the fuge drain... I may be able to extend this diagonal drain right to the middle of my fuge water level. What are your thoughts on this?" yea that could work.

What if you added a second very small hang-on overflow box directly about your fuge, so your sock and fuge would have straight unrestricted flow of "raw" water going down.

I'm getting ready to build a new sump/fuge myself because my ghettofranken sump works great, but I'm running out of space for reactors plus I could eliminate some power consumption by putting everything into one sump.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I didn't think of this idea. I wonder if I can spend the money for a small overflow. I'll have to check price around for that option as well since money is still tight, specially after buying the skimmer, overflow, etc.

- Mag.

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

Id personally never run a overflow box anywhere. I do not trust the siphon they require and I do not want water on my floor kthx.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

The one I bought has one of those aqualifter continuous siphon pumps. I was thinking I could split the intake if buying a 2nd overflow box was cost effective. Wouldn't that work? I'll check prices today. But I can see in advance it won't be cheaper than the pvc :(

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I've been doing a lot of reading about plumbing and I can tell already my sump will be fairly loud. Unfortunately my overflow (CPR CS Overflow Boxes Details) box has just 1 bulkhead. I was wondering if it's possible to put together a 3" to 4" tall Durso Standpipe to put INSIDE the CPR CS90 overflow box, in the drain side, of course.
    Has anybody ever done this? Is it even possible with the 1" pipes to get this done?
    My bulkhead is supposed to be 1", but the inside diameter is 1.25", is this normal?

I hope I can figure out a way to make my sump quiet, without having to buy anything else other than the pipes, elbows etc.

I'm concerned about the noise since the tank is in the living room.

Thanks for your advice!

- Mag.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Sumps do not have to be noisy. Ken Stockmans standpipe is designed to fit in external overflow boxes and is quite compact.
    R. Durso's 180g - Ken Stockman Standpipe

I use one of his older designs which is very similar in my internal overflow and it has worked well for over 6 years now.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Ok, So now I started my Sump build thread in the "Refugium" section, since it fits more in there than here. Please stop by and keep the suggestion coming. I'll start building this sometime soon. Probably on or after the weekend.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/827924-post1.html

Thanks!!

- Magnus.