Triplemom's 14 Biocube mantis tank! What???

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Triplemom, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

wow, Jwin, did you give that to your mom for her bday or was it a "gift" to herself? if you did, i need to start having kids so i can get cool stuff! 3reef and all your mantis shrimp is totally creating marital tension with my wife. she thinks a mantis will sneak out of our tank at night and murder us in our sleep.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

congrats and happy 29th birthday ROFL!

1 person likes this.
  4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ROFLLMAO my parents dont like the fact of only having one thing in a tank all by itself.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Happy birthday Triplemom, nice looking present you got there
    any close ups when the Mantis is settled?

Steve

1 person likes this.
  6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

oh yea, you got to have pics. dont want us to have to call the picture police do ya now?;)

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

He should be here tomorrow morning :D I won't get to see him, I'll be in class. But I may sprint home after classes to sneak a peak before I go to work. I guess this will be our first experience with stomatopod.com's shipping. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

The tank has about 5 pounds of rock in it right now, but we may commandeer another piece from our 46's fuge. So the Biocube has about 7 or 8 gallons of water straight from our fully established 46, and then we mixed up RO water for the rest. In reality, the biocube 14 holds about 11 gallons give or take a bit. Which kind of suprised us. But the tank looks good, the heater kept it at 77.8 last night which is good so as long as it doesn't creep up into the 79's today we'll be great. I'm not sure how good those biocube fans regulate heat though.

We tried to arrange what rock we had into a suitable "cave". Considering this is a 3" long mantis, he won't be able to just find a hole in a rock to live in like Princess used to do. Hopefully he likes his new home. Heck, if he's not shy then he won't need to care about total privacy.

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

And the tank and stand were self bought presents for my mom, but my brother and I have to pay for the mantis. :) Sounds fair enough...considering we paid over $100 total for it (shipping).

I'll get my mom to post pics. I felt I did a good job with the cave for what we had. I may go grab some PVC on my home today to make things even better.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

mine are the same with my puffer :D

11. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

It was kind of both! Actually, when Stepho put up that post about stomatopod.com having the G. smithii, I didn't even tell Jwin that I was checking them out. The husband is balking on me upgrading to a 125, so I'll just continue to surround myself with smaller tanks until he can't take it anymore! :p

I don't stress to much about ax-murderer mantis shrimp! They actually are fascinating to watch. As I add more tanks in my office, my work just continues to suffer. Oh well....:cheesy:

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh ho! So it's wan't my fault at all. It's all stepho's :lol:

So where's the pics? She moved our brain coral (constantly getting mauled by our pep and cleaner shrimp) to the biocube, and she moved a feather duster we're trying to save in there. Hopefully the brain will be happy with it, because now he can live in peace.

Anyone have any ideas on fish? I would kind of like a school of 3 chromis in there. But I don't know if 7-10 pounds of rock would handle that without a skimmer. Any comments on that?