Tri Colour SPS bleached is there any hope?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Jason McKenzie, Sep 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Coral;num=1094267574;start=0#9 date=09/05/04 at 19:33:56]My guess is Burning Man.  ::)
    [/quote]

Will pray for his soul.  Us squares won't go within 100 miles of that place, without a shotgun of course. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jason, How's the coral looking now?

John

4. Craig Manoukian

Interesting quotes from the article Matt linked:

...two articles support the observation, Delbeek's personal observation, that good water flow is an essential component in a successful reef aquarium that houses a lot SPS corals such as Acropora and may help to prevent coral bleaching brought on by increased water temperatures and light levels."

"may represent corals with a strain of zooxanthellae better adapted to high temperatures."

The tests with varying flows do indicate that higher flows seem to offset the bleaching associated with higher temps.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

No real Change John. Haven't seen a polyp in weeks and now the algae is taking over. I placed it in high flow about 5 days ago.

Still undecided on what I'm going to do.

J

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jason,

My SPS knowledge is just about nil, that's why I am asking :)

Are you able to to view where the polyps should be up close, like with a magnifying glass?

John

7. Craig Manoukian

High flow seems to be more effective before bleaching according to the article, do you concur Jason/John?

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I have no experience in Acro etc Craig so wont comment.  I do have a question though, what are the visual differences between a piece of Acro that is experiencing RTN and Bleaching?  In other words is there an immediate visual clue that can determine which one it is?

While I am at it, I assume that bleaching is sometimes recoverable, is that also true of RTN?  

And lastly, what causes RTN.

See that guys :)  3 questions all in one post :)

John

John

10. Craig Manoukian

John,

Did you get a chance to review the article Matt linked?

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OK it hasn't lost any tissue. I know this for sure.
    It is a Walt-smith wild tri colour. I purchased it from a coral farm here in Vancouver and the staff there deal mainly in SPS.
    I know wild colonies are very susceptible to bleaching when aggravated. Flow has always been high. But a nastily crab migrated to the colony about a 2 months ago. It took me almost two months to get it off. My temp went through the roof in lats June. Evenings here are cool but day time temps were between 30 and 36 every day. This cause the tank temp to go as high as 86 during the day. The Temp would return to 80-81 at night. I think this is were my problems are. The temp swing was too great. Everything else in the tank is fine.

I'll keep you up dated

J

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Farging crabs.
    J, I'd be curious to know what the coral farm suggests you do. You should call them. Wouldn't hurt. ;)